Chrysler 41te Trans Control

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: Chrysler 41te Trans Control

Post by Bernard Fife »

Thad,

By far the easiest way to see the outputs is to use LEDs connected to either 12V or 5V through a resistor (~390-1K Ohms), then connect the other end to the GPIO outputs (that ground the LEDS to light them). You can solder up several of these (similar to the 'LED tester' in step 6 here: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3trouble.htm) and wire them temporarily to the end of your harness, and see immediately which outputs are on at any given time (I like to tape the LEDs to a thin piece of plywood and label the outputs so I can see what is what).

However, the INJ LEDs on any stim work the same way - a LED and resistor that ground to light - (and other stim LEDs might work the same too - I'm not familiar with the JimStim or how many LEDs it has). So you can use at least two (and likely more) stim LEDs this way.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
racingmini_mtl

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There are 6 LEDs on the JimStim which are connected to 5V through a 330R resistor in addition to the 2 injector, 1 fidle, 1 fuel pump LEDs. However, there is no 5V on the JimStim since it comes from the MS board (same as regular stim). So these LEDs can be used for any grounding output.

Jean
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

Thanks guys,

I guess I'm a little confused, and will have to give this some significant thought to HOPEFULLY figure it out.

What I had envisioned was to bring my MS2 inside from my car, and have that hooked up to the JimStim to provide the basic engine information to the MShift through the CAN bus.

Then, I was figuring on hacking a 5v reference voltage from the JimStim to the appropriate place on the standard stim so I could use that RPM output from that one as my VSS input to the MShift. . .

I can't really give it range sensor inputs I guess, since their digital, and Lance doesn't suggest to try it.

Given all of that, I think it *sounds* like it might be more feasible to come up with some additional indicator lights and such for outputs as Lance has described here. However, I'm very open to suggestions, so if there is a easier/better way to do this, potentially using the JimStim LEDs and massive configurability, I'm all ears (well, eyes I guess)!

Thanks for the help!

Thad
Turbo Neon, converting to 41te trans sometime?
racingmini_mtl

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Thad,

If you connect the JimStim to your MS2 then you can use the 5V from it (which actually comes from the MS board) and connect it on the stim (you'll need to connect the ground on both stims together and to the GPIO ground). You also have 6 LEDs you can use as additional indicators for the GPIO outputs.

Since I know nothing about the GPIO board or the needed inputs, I'll let Lance answer that part.

Jean
devojet

Post by devojet »

Thad, I used a 5 possition rotary switch to control the digital range inputs on mine. Have a look at the circuits for the Trans Stim and you will see how its done. It would just be a matter of configuring the switch to match the outputs from your gearbox. The rest of your planned setup sounds fine.

Cheers

Daniel.
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

devojet wrote:Thad, I used a 5 possition rotary switch to control the digital range inputs on mine. Have a look at the circuits for the Trans Stim and you will see how its done. It would just be a matter of configuring the switch to match the outputs from your gearbox. The rest of your planned setup sounds fine.

Cheers

Daniel.
Thanks Daniel. Could you point me to the diagrams or schematics for those circuits please?

Thanks!

Thad
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Thad,

It's here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60Estim.html This is the diagram for the 4L60E, for other trans the wiring and diode arrangement will be slightly different. However if you look closely at the schematic, you'll see what need to be done. Basically you need to ground the right pins though the switch in each gear, but you need the diodes to prevent 'cross-talk' between gears.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

Good morning all,

Lance, I just wanted to be open with you about the fact that we may have stalled out on our 41te project. I hope to see it pick up steam again, but as I posted in one of the board build threads, RacerStev sold his 41te (got an offer too good to refuse), and currently no one else who is real tech savvy has stepped up to do the testing/development phase. Cododgeneon is willing, but says he isn't the most MegaSquirt capable guy around.

There are a couple of other guys who had expressed interest previously, and who seemed to be pretty capable, and RacerStev will probably be getting a new 41te trans to build for one of his vehicles, so hopefully we'll be back in business later in the spring, or early in the summer.

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to do. Spring time has me really busy too, but I will try to help out with whatever!

Thad
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Thad,

These things happen (I saw the other thread, but hadn't replied yet), and it's not a problem. We have a dozen testers out there, and once we have significant feedback from a significant portion of them, we'll move ahead. So we won't be hung up by any one persons delays.

In the meantime, I will be releasing new code sometime next week (as per the development thread) so any bench testing that anyone might do to verify that things (serial comms, CAN, gauges, different i/o configurations - on LEDs or a scope, etc. etc.) seem to work as expected (or definitely don't work as expected!) on the bench is always welcome.

Lance.
Arlo#1

Post by Arlo#1 »

tjabo wrote:Good morning all,

Lance, I just wanted to be open with you about the fact that we may have stalled out on our 41te project. I hope to see it pick up steam again, but as I posted in one of the board build threads, RacerStev sold his 41te (got an offer too good to refuse), and currently no one else who is real tech savvy has stepped up to do the testing/development phase. Cododgeneon is willing, but says he isn't the most MegaSquirt capable guy around.

There are a couple of other guys who had expressed interest previously, and who seemed to be pretty capable, and RacerStev will probably be getting a new 41te trans to build for one of his vehicles, so hopefully we'll be back in business later in the spring, or early in the summer.

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to do. Spring time has me really busy too, but I will try to help out with whatever!

Thad
I just blew the tranny in my srt-4 (stuck in 4th) it has been grinding in all gears for a while now so it was long over due for a rebuild but I just can't justify the 2000+ for a three syncros and shift forks ect when it will just do it again! I will do all the work my self and it looks like the 41te is still my best choice! The dogbox looks awesome but not for that price!
So I did a tonn of reserch on this a year ago when I was starting to have problems and found out alot but dont remember what all I need.
Any help on the info for the super 420 manual-Auto conversion would be awesome!