idle up when in 1st at 0mph not work..lastest road code?

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
zen

idle up when in 1st at 0mph not work..lastest road code?

Post by zen »

hi..my megashift and ms2 with zf24 has been working well for some time now..
except for idle up when in 1st at standstill...all paraments are correct to allow ign adv and iacv up, but no change.

i am running 4.139 at moment..is there a bug AND if so is there a newer code to use.ROAD going vehicle with 400hp!
or could there be something i have missed??

regards simon
Bernard Fife

Re: idle up when in 1st at 0mph not work..lastest road code?

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

The latest 4.146 release code is here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41code.html This code is getitng bug fixes only at the moment, because the 5.xxx code will soon be declared the release code.

The latest 5.099 beta code is here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html

You can follow the code developments in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=240&p=5012#p5012

But MShift can only send the adjustment factor to the engine controller, it can't control the idle directly. Not all engine code version support the idle up (all recent B&G codes do), and even some that claim to apparently don't (this may have been fixed in some recent engine codes out there, so you might want to make sure you have the latest engine code for your engine controller). If that doesn't help you might want to check with the engine code's developer.

Also, please post a datalog that captures the issue and your MSQ so we can see exactly what is gong on (such as if the appropriate parameters are set correctly, and the correct value is being sent).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
zen

Post by zen »

hi Lance

ok..some questions..(if you dont mind)

a...which parameters do you need to be recorded in the datalog (not used this fuction as of yet)
b...is the 5.099 safe to use yet on a road going vehicle..(i expect not..)..actually i might already be using an earlier 4.166..i best check..)
c..the ms2 is running a late code.it was bought from Phil of efi extra here in the UK..he writes (with others) the codes..he is listed on b& g main site..i can ask him about this issue .PLEASE what does he need to know, ie what/how (via can bus i know) is the ms2 lookng for to adjust timing/iacv..
d..i am wondering now ,ifindeed the advance retard is working too when megashift is changing gear..? i will have to check..DOES it work/talk to ms2 using the same commands/as it seems to me it would, and if it Is not/is working to i can let Phil know about this too..

thanks simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

The relevant output channel for adjusting the engine controller IAC over the CANbus is called "IdleAdj" (it is at offset 46 in the outpc structure detailed in the [OutputChannels] section in the INI).

The datalogs include all the channels listed in the [Datalog] section of the INI. This IdleAdj channel isn't automatically recorded in the datalogs for 4.146 code, but I have added it as IdlAdj to the INI that is attached:
GPIO_MShift_4146.ini
(222.08 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
It was added by including the line:

Code: Select all

entry = IdleAdj,           "idlAdj",       int,     "%d"
to the [Datalog] section of the INI using a text editor.

You can monitor the MShift CANbus spark adjustment with the channel "SpkAdj". I have added that to the datalog of the INI above as spkAdj as well, with the line:

entry = SpkAdj,            "spkAdj",       int,     "%.1f" 
You can add these two lines to any of the older INIs to record these channels.

You can read more about datalogging here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41tune.html#d

You should also be able to see both of these adjustments in the engine controller's idle control and spark advance fields of a datalog.

The adjustment is sent over the CANbus to a specific location in memory on the engine controller (see this link for more information: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41tune.html#oa - this is what the engine code developer needs to know). The engine code developer must allocate the variables in the right place AND must actually use the sent value to adjust the relevant parameter (see the link for the details).

I have tested these functions quite a bit with B&G code, and they work as designed.

Apparently some non-B&G codes allocate the variables but don't actually do anything with them. You would have to ask your engine developer about whether your code is affected and whether you need to upgrade (I don't know which non-B&G codes/versions are affected).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
zen

Post by zen »

Lance..

i have an answer..it is sorted..

MS2/x and ms3 use ..

here is a quote from megasquirt code writers..

Re: ms2x and megaSHIFT issue..ie canbus commands.

Postby jsmcortina » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:23 pm
You won't find the whole answer in the ini file.

"outpc" is block 7 in MS2/BG, MS2/Extra, MS3.
MS2/BG wants external devices to write directly into the user-settings portion of memory. That's the in2ram area on block 5 and the temporary control data could accidentally get written to flash if you hit burn at the wrong time.
For MS2/Extra and MS3 we changed the mechanism to avoid that potential problem. Instead we write to a 'special' area in block 7. Internally this is 'datax1' at offset 512 and above and is used for data exchange.

James

so ..use for ms2/x etc,,

a)..MS2 OUTPC BLOCK 7
b)..MS2 IN2RAM BLOCK 7
c)..MS2 VARIABLE OFFSET 512

simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

That sounds reasonable. In MShift you can set these variable location on the CANbus Confguration menu. You will have to edit the INI to be able to change these parameters, though (this prevents people from accidentally screwing up there comms). You do this by looking for lines like:

field = "!MS-II outpc block",        ms2varBLK,      { 0 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable
	  field = "CANbus message f!ormat", can_testout, { CAN_enabled }
	  field = "Spark/Fuel/Idle Adjustments"
	  field = "!MS-II in2ram block",       Adj_blk,        { 0 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable
	  field = "!MS-II variable offset",    Adj_varoffset,  { 0 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable

and changing the { 0 } to { 1 } like this:

field = "!MS-II/MS3 outpc block",        ms2varBLK,      { 1 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable
	  field = "CANbus message f!ormat", can_testout, { CAN_enabled }
	  field = "Spark/Fuel/Idle Adjustments"
	  field = "!Adjustment block",       Adj_blk,        { 1 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable
	  field = "!Adjustment offset",    Adj_varoffset,     { 1 }           ; change to { 1 } to make editable

I have also renamed a few of the fields (to 'Adjustment block' and 'Adjustment offset' to better reflect the new structure of the CANbus adjustments).

Since a lot of people will likely be using non-B&G code, I will make these parameters editable by default in the 4.146 and 5.099 INIs on the website, and in all future INIs.

As always, the latest INIs are here:

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/files/ini/

Lance.
zen

Post by zen »

hi Lance..
thanks for input, it all is good now..
EXCEPT..using the 4.146 but NOT the one you have just adapted, (as i will have to remove/unbolt ecu etc tio get at to reflash,..so this weekend as i use for work..5am..ouch!!)
the iacv up still works back tpo front..ie up 11 steps makes ms2 go down 11 steps..have to put in -11 to mke go up 11..ALL IGN settings are ok

THIS is on 4.146 proberly oct 14 issue..(so i guess may have been fixed)

simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Zen,

There was a fix to this last November. See: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=931

Lance.