Problem loading code on MegaShift

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Silverado

Problem loading code on MegaShift

Post by Silverado »

Just got done building and installing the MegaShift and can not get the code to load. Using the downloader program, error comes back as timed out. Where do I begin to troubleshoot this? I have brought the serial connections out through the Amp connector as per the build guide. Port checker program returns "s" on port that I am using.
Bernard Fife

Re: Problem loading code on MegaShift

Post by Bernard Fife »

Silverado,

Use the MS-II connection troubleshooting guide here: http://www.megamanual.com/connect.htm#ms2 The GPIO serial connection and software is the same as MS-II.

The bootloader header on the GPIO (that you must short to get into bootloader mode, usually by placing a jumper across it then powering up) is located right beside the serial jack at the edge of the board.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
rxl158

Post by rxl158 »

i originally had the same problem and found I had the Tx and Rx wires REVERSED...after i checked them 3 times :O
This is probably not the case for you, but worth double checking :)
Rob
DIY'er with Your help :-)
jdrapersys

Post by jdrapersys »

I had the same problem with forgetting about the T-R serial crossover, but correcting that I have both serial and CAN connections. I would like to test further before buying a transmission. Where can I buy a transmission stim board? The last post about the stim I could find was two years ago.

Best regards, John
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

John,

I have made and distributed updated trans stim boards over the last several months, but I am out of them at the moment.

If enough people (say 8 or 10) express an interest in these, I will have another run made. People can either post here, or PM me.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Thanks for all of the responses. I had originaly thought that the Tx and Rx might be reversed - tried that and just got an error, unkown exception error I think. I built this for the 4L80E as per the build instructions. In the instructions to bring the serial out through the Amp plug it said to use one of the 17 - 20 pins for the ground, I used 19. I found that there was zero resistance from the gound pin of the voltage regulator on both 18 and 20 - I had both grounded to the trans case. On pin 19 that I used, I found about 4K ohm to the ground pin of the regulator. I switched 19 and 20, has zero resistance and it worked when I attempted to load the s19. Now on to see if this talks to my MSII.

Silverado
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Silverado,

Sounds like you are making progress. If you can load code, then the serial comms are working. The tuning software should work too, with the right INI in place.

There is a video on the site for setting up the CAN comms to MS-II in TunerStudio. It is linked off of this page: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/cpt.html (among other places)

Lance.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Lance,

The CAN comm appears to be working fine as well. I am looking forward testing and driving.

Silverado
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Silverado,

That's great! The CAN comms are very reliable, in my experience (even more than the serial comms). Have fun with the install and testing, and be sure to let us know how it goes (and if there is anything that doesn't work or you don't understand, of course).

Lance.