4r70w build instructions(rough)

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
ashford

4r70w build instructions(rough)

Post by ashford »

I've had a few other people ask me how the gpio works and how to set it up on other forums, so i will make a rought draft here.

the 4r70w(AODE) are controlled almost identacally as the 4l80e with the exception of the manual lever gear position, iss is not present and the pwm on the pc sol.

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L80E/4L80.html
build the gpio the same as the 4l80 guide EXCEPT steps
A-11
E - gpi2 input different
H nothing used
I- no need for vr3

step a-11 do not solder in jumper wires if the unit was bought from diyautotune.com it comes with a nice header, jumpers and 6 jumper wires, it is way easier and things can be changed down the road if needed.

Step E use gpi2 as od/off if you are sending it a ground signal build it as is in the manual. if you are giving it a 12v signal build it the same as gpi4-brake sense. honestly ive been too busy or lazy to make an od off switch so i havent tested it.

step H nothing is used from this step instead build gpi1 for the manula lever sensor as in the pic(jumper diagram below). an anolog manual mlps must be used, they will bolt in place on newer transmissions. the ford digital mlps is not compatable with the current code unless you can do without an od/off function.

step I there is no need to build vr3 since the 4r70w has no iss.

now for the basic configuration
vss or oss the 4r70w has 6 holes on the output shaft. in 2004 it switched to 24 teeth. the 4r80 vr circuit worked but was jittery for me so i build a vr circuit using a dedicated chip, it was an improvement but not perfect. then one day thinking about it the trans has holes not teeth for the sensor to pick up so i reversed the polarity at the sensor and it worked perfect.

EDIT: a link to the circuit i built viewtopic.php?f=4&t=678&start=40#p3791

pc sol there a 3 differnt pc sol's a low imp a higher imp and one that likes higher frequencies. measure your resistance on it you want to have no more than 3 ams draw on it or about 5 ohms total mine was 2.5 oms so i added in another2.5 ohm 50watt resistor inline. i probed my f150 to get a glimpse of what was going on with the stock computer and pwm frequency varied from 1500 to 6000hz. the older sol called for 585 hz. i have a 2001 and it worked at that frequency but had a small window of pwm control about 50-80% i raised the frequency to 1000hz and it responded better .

tcc if it is a 10 ohm solenoid it works as an on/off but can be pwmed.

trans temp- build it as the guide says them recalibrate for a for 3 point in tuner studios like you would for an ms2 or 3.
input voltage it is best to read your own voltages and input them. but for 3rd just put in 4.98 it will give you a limp home safety if something happens.
gpio notes.png
gpio notes.png (562.53 KiB) Viewed 10900 times
shift patterns.png
shift patterns.png (73.39 KiB) Viewed 10900 times
Attachments
CAN1_CurrentTune.msq
4.124 code tps based shifts
(44.76 KiB) Downloaded 847 times
craigibc

Re: 4r70w build instructions(rough)

Post by craigibc »

How has this worked out for you? Any updates or advice on your tune? I am getting ready to put the same configuration together for my car.
ashford

Post by ashford »

craigibc wrote:How has this worked out for you? Any updates or advice on your tune? I am getting ready to put the same configuration together for my car.
it worked quite well after most of the bugs were worked out, only complaint was a fixed hysteresis. a turbo car needs to have tps based shift control, map based gives all kind of unwanted shifts. unfortunately my engine made too much torque for the trans without some high dollar parts so i installed a tko600. my last trip to the dyno made 550 rwtq at 9 lbs boost, i do sorta miss the auto it spooled the turbo quite a bit faster.

when i can find it i will post my last msq
ashford

Post by ashford »

easier to find than i thought. these are 4 working msqs from different codes 4142 was tuned the best and works well. 4126 was relativly bug free. and i think the 4104 worked well but no tps based shift with map pressure avaliable in that firmware.

a heads up my 4126 and later were tps based shift and map based line pressure. for some odd reason when importing these tunes to a new flash tuner studios sets load from 0-100 to 20-100 so the shift table will be off. you also need to set up the project properties as per the manual for tps based shift and map line pressure(not sure if this is carried over from the msq)
Attachments
msq's.zip
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 590 times