4th Gear Slip under load

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: 4th Gear Slip under load

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

What is your Shift completion delay set to? Is it still 304 milliseconds as in your last MSQ? That's how long the clutch outputs are supposed to be active for. In your log it only appears to be high for ~ 100 msec or less. I don't see anything obviously wrong in the code, so I will have to dig a bit deeper.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

Here is some test code:
Monitor_5095t9.abs.s19
(78.82 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
GPIO_MShift_5095.ini
(261.53 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
This code has a potential fix (though I didn't find anything obviously wrong in the code), but also has some diagnostic channels built in so if it doesn't work a datalog will show what's going on much better and it will be simpler to fix. I will be trying it here. If you were willing to give it a try and post some feedback, that would be great.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

Actually, don't other with the code above, it won't help. But I do see the issue in the code now. I just have to fix it...

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

Okay, here is code that works for me:
Monitor_5095t11.abs.s19
(78.83 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
(uses INI above)

The problem turned out to be something simple (and stupid!). The delays were x10 in the INI, but this wasn't account for in the code, so they were only 1/10th as long as they should have been. This was a careless mistake on my part, and I apologize for the hassle it has caused you.

As always, thanks for spotting this and bringing it to our attention!

Lance.
thatswagenwagen

Post by thatswagenwagen »

Okay finals are over and I can get back to work on this,

Lance, the code you posted works perfect, and my 2nd spare port (the shift solenoid for 4th gear) is actually working now!

The clutch smoothness (Spare port 1) is still not functioning at all, but TunerStudio claims that it is working fine.

My car just died on the side of the road because I forgot to clean my Megasquirt, so I am inspecting and thoroughly cleaning my Megashift as well. There was some excess flux here and there, so we'll see if that was an issue.

Sam
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

I just looked at spare port 1 on my bench using the latest beta code (5.096). It was set up as a selective clutch output, and the gear changes were set up to all 'ON' under 'Shift Output Patterns -> Clutch Pattern (SP1/Output7)'. When I do this, the trace on my scope matches the PWM pattern set under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 1 PWM Setup/Percent/Index' (you should make sure these are all set appropriately for your application, of course).

So try the latest beta code here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html

If that still doesn't work for you, post your MSQ file and a datalog. You might also want to check the PT7/VB1 jumper for a good connection at both ends (recall this is one of the wire jumpers on the 25x2 header that you added early in the build). Also check the soldering of the VB1 circuit, including the resistor R1; and check the soldering on the AMP seal connector pin 11 as well. You might also check the continuity from the harness side of the ampseal connector (pin 11) to your device (or its connector) to verify that there is less than 1 ohms resistance.

Lance.
thatswagenwagen

Lance

Will do, thanks.

Sam
thatswagenwagen

Lance,

Okay, all problems fixed, then transmission broke

I must have been very tired when I re-soldered the TIP120s because the new ones were not on right lol. I re-soldered everything and all clutch inputs worked, and transmission shifted perfectly.

So I turned up the boost... And the 01M disagreed... and broke :(

MY FAULT, the trans will be rebuilt and probably live to see more MegaShifting on an N/A 16V in a few months :)

That is all, thank you for all the support

Summary:
-Trans slipped due to a stuck on spare port shift solenoid, because of 2 bad TIP120s
-Once TIP120s were replaced everything worked seamlessly
-01M broke after ~15PSI on my 16V 2.0

Sam
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sam,

Thanks for the feedback. That's too bad about the trans. I know from experience how frustrating that is. I hope your fix will be as quick and painless as possible for you!

Lance.