Spare port

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: Spare port

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

Okay, I will look at putting options in the gear indicator mode to use:
- current gear
- manual gear, or
- aux volts.

In the meantime, a simple thing to do might to be a put a single switch on the gear lever that is high only in Park (and not neutral) and use that for a 4th lever input. Then you could use the existing scheme without issues.

It would also be good to hear from other users to see how they might want to use this indicator mode, and what other choices might be useful.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance
In the meantime, a simple thing to do might to be a put a single switch on the gear lever that is high only in Park (and not neutral) and use that for a 4th lever input

That would do as well, and is an easier solution rather then using a pot at the gear lever for the aux voltage....

But that wont really solve the issue either, I then need to get the input patter as index, not Cgear

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

It occurred to me that alternatively you could use a pot (or switches and resistors) on the shifter for the lever position indicator (see: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5tune.html#i ; http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltlever.html) to set the lever position in the code, and ignore the internal pressure switches altogether (since they would be redundant). That would give you distinct PNR, etc. as well as free up some inputs.

I will still implement an option to select current gear or manual lever gear position to drive the PWM %/period in gear indicator mode, though, so you can have a lever indicator rather than a gear indicator.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

I will attach 5.011 code/ini that lets the user select whether to use the current gear or the manual lever position to drive the PWM duty cycle and frequency on spare port 2. The default is 'Use Current Gear' and you will want to change it to 'Use Manual Lever Position'. You will find the option under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 2 Gear Mode Duty Cycle' once you select 'gear indicator mode' for spare port 2.

You can use either the voltage based shifter (with a pot on the lever) or the 3 internal pressure switches plus one more to distinguish neutral from park to get a full-range on the manual gear, so that the gear indicator period and PWM% can be set on spare port 2 in gear indicator mode.

This is completely untested at this point (other than to load it and look at the gauges and menus), so use only with great caution.

Lance.
Attachments
GPIO_MShift_5011.ini
(250.51 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Monitor_5011.abs.s19
(76.01 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Thanks Lance.

Ill test the code during the weekend.

BR//Tobmag
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.

Done some testing now and it seems to be working, I will modd the VB2 removing the diod adding a 1K resistor from 12V (like the speedo Circuit) and have a test with the rpm gauge during the week.

BR//Tobmag

PS, Line pressure doesnt work and Non-CAN load sits on 100% until you get a VSS signal (ISS disabled)
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

I might have fixed these in the 4.xxx code but forgot to fix it for the 5.011 code. I will have a look at it shortly.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

Is this in neutral or reverse? If so, there is a separate setting for the pressure control duty cycle in neutral and an option for reverse ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5tune.html#gs ).

Do you have an engine rpm signal? If the engine rpm is less than 300 rpm (which it may be if it is calculated from a zero VSS), the pressure control duty cycle defaults to 100% (no current). That's because we don't need to control the pressure if the engine isn't running, and there's no point wasting the current if the alternator is not charging the system.

This may also be due to the slip conditions ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5tune.html#gt ). Setting this to 'No slip adjustments' may fix the line pressure issue you are seeing. In the next code I will only allow slip adjustments if the speed isn't very low.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

Here is test code that implements a minimum speed (3mph) and load (user setting) on the slip based PC duty adjustments:
Monitor_5011b.abs.s19
Uses 5.011 INI file from earlier post
(76.06 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
This should help the 100% PC with zero VSS issue (but I may have understood the problem incorrectly). If this code doesn't help, could you please post a MSQ and a datalog? I need to know if you are using the line pressure table or the two point calcs, etc.

BTW, I know I often ask things that seem irrelevant to the issue at hand. I do this primarily because I know (from long experience) that people will stumble onto old threads a long time from now, and assume their issue is the same as another user's issue without considering all the possibilities. So I make feeble attempt at 'completeness' where I can...

Lance.
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.
Is this in neutral or reverse
Its in neutral didnt check in R.
Do you have an engine rpm signal
No, and ISS disabled.

My current tune attached, will test the posted code in a day or so, very buissy in the garage for the moment.....

BR//Tobmag
Attachments
2014-02-18_19.57.24.msq
(51.34 KiB) Downloaded 590 times