LED outputs: display

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Jim Blackwood

LED outputs: display

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Hey Lance, do you think it would be very hard to output binary coded decimal on the four LED output lines? I've got some slick 7 segment numeric display modules [LTS-5503AB (blue), HDSP-5703 (amber)] and drivers CD4511BE which I think will work well together and it'd be way cool to have a number for the gear the transmission's in.

I'm wiring one up to test it, hope to do that in a day or two but the chip takes A,B,C,D inputs and outputs a,b,c,d,e,f,g for the segments. The chip runs on 5-12Vdc so it may not need any resistors or anything but hook-up wires, which simplifies things a bit. Don't know yet if the chip will do any letters (beyond a 0101 input) but I'll check it out.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Re: LED outputs: display

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

This sounds like it might be a good idea, I will look into it and see how it might be done.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Jim,

How would this differ from the current 7 segment display? http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/7segment.html
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

Addicted is right of course! This has been documented already (long enough ago that I forgot the part numbers). Many people have successfully built that circuit, and have it functioning as designed.

I was thinking you were asking to display alpha characters (ex. PNR) as well, but the 4511 doesn't support that, and we would likely need more than 4 outputs (and I thought you were asking for more outputs to be associated with the four existing LED outputs).

But if I have misunderstood you, please correct me.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Gents,

Last year I sourced a MM5484N 16 segment display driver chip and some matching displays, but because its obsolete I could get the datasheet for how to set up the driver! 16 segments would have allowed PNR. :(

Thats why, in the end, I did this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=868
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

You guys are quite right of course!
I should have searched a little deeper, it was right there under my nose all the time. So this is the plan for the gear display, the standard circuit build with 0 for Park and N and maybe flash for R. That will work fantastic, one more piece nearly squared away. The only unknown for me now on this circuit is if the particular 4511 driver chip I purchased requires the limiting resistors on the outputs, but I've got a few and can afford to burn one up in testing.

I ran across another little goodie for the paddle shifter but I'll start another thread for that.

Jim