ZF 24hpeh..ie range rover p38

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
zen

ZF 24hpeh..ie range rover p38

Post by zen »

hi..new to this subsection of ms forums, but due to this site keep eating my user name due to not liking my email account have re registered..

ANYWAY...hello all...i have a 1971 range rover (or 2)..now i have fitted a supercharged nitrosed rv8 4.6l...ex gems ecu, its mated to the zf24hp eh version..

currently running ms2x engine ecu and the oe bosch autobox ecu..it aint happy..the gearbox will change gear, but due to no throttle, torque inputs from engine it wont go manual or change from sport to eco...

so this leavees me three options,

a) work out how to make ms2 give these to bosch ecu..but no one is willing or can give me any relevent info, the land rover factory manual is too vague...i think its just gonna be a right headache..

so..
b)..compushift, as sold by ashcroft transmissions here in england..but thats £1000..ie $1600..and it does not allow for torque reduction on gearshifts, though i recon i could make it do so...expensive, but plug and play.

or
c).PREFERED option..megashift!!..so i have info on, xyz switch, what solenoid does what.torque convertor solenoid etc..lacking in pwm frequency info on line pressure solenoid, but before buying board etc HAS anyone on here done this with the zf24??it would be very interesting to hear from you if so!!

i hear alot of negative talk about starting a new gearbox project, but why??is it totally non doable??

regards
Matt Cramer

Re: ZF 24hpeh..ie range rover p38

Post by Matt Cramer »

This should be doable, although I'm not sure it has been done before. There is a writeup on setting up MegaShift on transmissions that don't have a specific build guide here:

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/newtrans.html
zen

Post by zen »

well about to find out..
megashift will be finished tonight, just wired in canbus to the ms2x..if all goes to plan will be putting firmware into megashift later..

fingers crossed as cant seem to save/download firmware from anywhere, it just tries to save link location..
zen

Post by zen »

well it works..just vss a disaster..but sortable..

info..THIS for zf24hpeh as used in 1995-1999 range rover p38..

mv1 mv2 use sol a sol b..set to on/off NOT pwm.
pc use pc..set pwm. 1ms..max 90 duty..(even 85)
tc ..use tcc..on/off not pwm..

i built as 4l60...but just didnt bother with sol c

all other variables ie shift patterns are listed on RAVE..(land rover digital manuals, freely available..google)..

set sola and b to 1st gear ouput settings for n and p..and to 3rd gear output settings for r..
zen

Post by zen »

for those interested...

build as 4l60..you dont need sol 3 though, just leave it out..

use lm2907 vss conditioner ic..go to datasheet and use crt for transducer conditioner number 2..ie 1 pulse in 1 pulse out.on input to lm2907 500r...vss in to 500 to gnd.from there 47k to input pin of lm2907..from output of lm2907 1k to potential divider 10k preset..set to 5v out (3-5v is fine)..from there 0.1uf to gnd.
then straight to PT0 on 25 way header..DONT use gpio vss crt..it wont work.(though if you have the time i expect you could get it to work)

pw on pc is 1000hz..max current 0.7amp..i am running max 60% which is in theory to high, but seems to be fine as its usually much less..

sola and b are on/off..

all other data you need is in rave..

flappy padels etc will work...
Fozwanger

Post by Fozwanger »

Hi,

I've just bought a kit to use on a zf4hp24 out of a jag behind a twin turbo TVR motor running motec ecu so the trans controller will be used with paddles on the steering wheel.
Did this all work ok?
I'm in uk so finding anybody that has done this in uk is proving difficult.

Any additional info will be greatly appreciated

Jeff