New to this, some general questions

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: New to this, some general questions

Post by Bernard Fife »

Pigga,

I will implement the choice to use any of the following for table switching:

- PE1 - the 2WD/4WD input (aka. Input 4), the current default,
- PE0 (not currently used for anything at all, but also not available in the microTCU controller),
- PAD05 - the non-CANbus MAP input (for those with microTCU and 4 lever inputs but using CANbus).

I will take me a few days to sort this out; I will post here when I have some code.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Pigga,

I have put a link to updated 4.135 code in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=3936#p3936

This code uses processor pin PE0 for table switching whenever the 2WD/4WD input is used as lever input. The pin will require a pull-up and a connection to an unused Ampseal pin.

I will be working on a similar update for the 5.009 beta code. However that code will let the user select from PE0 (not used), PE1 (2WD/4WD) or PAD05 (non-CANbus load) as the table switching input, OR use them for lever inputs (so we can have up to 6 inputs for those that need that many). Th defaults will be to use them the same as the current defaults. This will take a bit longer, though, as it requires a substantially re-write to that section of code.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
pigga

Post by pigga »

Hi Lance.
Wow, thanks for such a quick update! :shock: But I agree with you: If there are enough Inputs left, it´s probably straight forward to use an alternative input for this purpose.
The only "danger" I can see is that any user could change the GPI1 input usage by accident and so activate the alternative table switch input. If this input is not grounded and starts "floating", funny things may happen :-)
Tomorrow we have a look at a crashed Golf MK3 that (hopefully) could act as donator of the "electric gearbox". If my colleague (who owns the car that´s all about) agrees, I´ll order at DIYautotune and start with the conversion.
I am also in contact with a person in this forum who intends to convert a VW automatic gearbox to MShift as well. So (hopefully) I will be able to continue this project. We´ll see tomorrow.
Unfortunately, German Engineers think more complicated than other people:
As stated above, there are 4 wires for the lever input.
4 Solenoids control the gear-shifting.
1 Solenoid turns on the TCC
1 Solenoid regulates ATF pressure
1 Solenoid regulates the TCC pressure
2 (further) solenoids are intended to "smoothen" the shifts under specific conditions. They are on/off solenoids (I am still sot sure if they are needed for my application).
So if all solenoids are needed, I´ll need 9 outputs (!?). That´s why I am lloking forward to the 5.x beta version.
But I still have to get the desired car and (if we get it) do some logging with VCDS.
Many thanks for updating the software that quick. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of controlling an automatic gearbox with Megashift :mrgreen:
Regards,
Thomas