VSS resetting to 0

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
tobmag

Re: VSS resetting to 0

Post by tobmag »

Lance,

what capacitors do you have in C28,29,31 and 32?

If I look at the buildguide and BOM there is a difference between the 4l60E and 4L80E

4L80E will use 47pf capacitors in all 4 locations while in 4L60E you use 47pf in C28 and 470pf in C29(same as what is in the basic spec at the GPIO homepage)
You said you had yours built to 4L60E specs so there we have a difference.....
I have 47pf in all 4 locations

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

You said, "Same thing going on at 1300hz if the filter is on.....if I turn it off its (almost) 100% ok." If the ISS is (almost 100%) okay without filtering, is the VSS almost 100% okay if you turn the filtering off for it (since it is the "same thing")? Or does turning the VSS filtering off not help?

You have the CAN disabled, so the controller isn't getting the load value from the engine controller. As a result it uses the lowest row of the shift table unless some sort of load sensor is connected. Are you using a separate load input for the MShift controller? If so, is it set up under "General Settings -> Non-CAN Load Settings"?

I am reviewing the OS rpm and VSS Hz calculations at the moment (these are done entirely in TS on the PC); I will post here when I have a better INI to use.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.

I havent looked at the ISS signal at all just been testing the circuit....
What I did was using the ISS circuit on the GPIO and then jumper over from VR3 to PT0 to get the signal back to VSS
So I just putted the signal generator to the ISS input.

The above was just a quick test if the circuit was OK or not.

There is no difference if I use the ISS/VR3 or VSS/VR1 I get the same problem with the signal at 1300hz with the filter on
If I turn the filter off(entering 0) I get a very little bit of noice in the output speed, just some small dips but nothing big enough to generate any down shift or something like that.

Did that answer your question?

//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

Is your vehicle 4WD? Have you hooked up the 2WD/4WD switch? This is on pin PE1, and ampseal in #5. If you are not using this, you should set the "VSS Setup -> 4WD speedo correction" to 1.00 from the default 1.96 - this will let the speedo work better if the input ground is intermittent.

I can't say anything for sure on the 4L80e instructions, these instructions were written by Dave Hjort and apparently worked fine on his 4L80e a few years ago. But I have the specified 470pF in C29 and 47pF in C28, and this works fine for me. So if you have some 470pF caps handy, you might try installing them.

I have put a new INI here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/fi ... t_4127.ini This has revised OS rpm and VSS Hz calcs.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

is it set up under "General Settings -> Non-CAN Load Settings
There is no such setting in TS V2.0.8 , just load calibration which is working ok.

I'm using the 0-5v output on the transstim as load and its working according to the load gauge I have in TS
Also when Im looking in the gearshift table load is going up-down according to the movement of the pot.

But its still sifting according to 20Kpa....even tough I have 100Kpa set.

//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

That setting is only available if you have the CAN disabled. When I load the MSQ you posted, CAN is disabled under "Tools -> CAN Configuration -> CAN Usage". That's the correct setting for using a 0-5V signal.

If CAN is disabled, you should find the "non-CAN LOAD Calibration" menu as the next to last item under "General Settings". So I miswrote the label above. If you don't have that menu item, you either need to update TS (I am using 2.3.03), or update the INI, or both.

I haven't checked the non-CAN load for quite a while, it seems almost nobody uses it (everyone appears to use CAN). I'll have a look at it.

Lance.
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Did test the ini but no difference....still jumping around at 1300hz with the filter on.

Maybe my imagination but the speedo seems much smoother now making a slow sweep 0-100km/h?

That setting is only available if you have the CAN disabled. When I load the MSQ you posted, CAN is disabled under "Tools -> CAN Configuration -> CAN Usage". That's the correct setting for using a 0-5V signal.

If CAN is disabled, you should find the "non-CAN LOAD Calibration" menu as the next to last item under "General Settings". So I miswrote the label above. If you don't have that menu item, you either need to update TS (I am using 2.3.03), or update the INI, or both.
I'm using CAN load as well normally but on the bench its 0-5v only....then I also have all settings correct
4WD speedo correction" to 1.00 from the default
This has been corrected

Tomorrow Ill se if I can find the 470pf cap and test.

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

There is definitely an issue on my bench with the non-CANbus load using only the bottom of the shift table (exactly as you described). I will dig into the code and find out why. I'll post here when I have it fixed.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

If I turn the filter off(entering 0) I get a very little bit of noice in the output speed, just some small dips but nothing big enough to generate any down shift or something like that.
Tobmag,

Okay, then it sounds like it works if you leave the filtering off. That's what I would do then. I might increase the VSS smoothing factor to take some of the jitter out of the speedo. Other users have found that no filtering works better for them, that's why it is an option.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

The issue on my bench with the non-CANbus load using only the bottom of the shift table affects the CANbus load as well, this should make it easier to sort out. I will post when I have a solution.

Lance.