Chrysler 41te Trans Control

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
UnaClocker

Re: Chrysler 41te Trans Control

Post by UnaClocker »

Digging up an old thread here.. But I just wanted to let everyone know, I've started a Wiki dedicated to this transmission. And I mined this thread for good information to add to it. Hope nobody minds that one.. Anyways, I do plan to run this trans in my Omni when it all goes back together, and I'll be using the GPIO to control it.
Something I wanted to contribute to this thread.. The range selector.. It's simply 4 on-off switches.. It was mentioned that that's kind of a waste of inputs on the GPIO.. Why not multiplex them all into one wire? Put a different resistor value on the output of each switch.. Little bit of math in the code could quickly determine which switches are on to get the current voltage reading.. Chrysler does this ALL OVER the place inside their modern cars with the BCM.. Then you'd only need one ADC input to the range selector.. No other inputs wasted.

Oh.. Almost forgot.. http://www.neonsquirt.com/41te is the wiki.. Please add to it if you have something to add.. :)
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

Nice! 8-)
Turbo Neon, converting to 41te trans sometime?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

UnaClocker,

If you do it that way, you save inputs, as you say. The code already allows user-settable variable voltage inputs for determining the shift lever position, and when this is selected (over multiple digital switches) the remaining inputs become general purpose ADC inputs that can be logged, etc. So it's a very good idea you have!

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

Evening everyone,

I was just doing a re-read of this thread, as RacerStev and I had been discussing the possibility tonight of getting back in gear on this project. Wow, that was an unintended, and pitiful pun, but I'm going to leave it here anyway. . .

So, our current thinking and status is: Steve currently has the test van up and running with MS2/Extra running the spark, and possibly an additional staged set of injectors. (he's told me about this at least three times, and I just can't remember what the heck he's doing for supplementary fuel) At any rate, we have the CAN input available, so that moots some of the discussion early in the year when Steve was looking into the option of running the AEM FIC, which would have meant that we would need outside TPS and/or MAP.

For the sake of future builds we hope people will do, we'd like to get the MShift to accommodate the standard switches in the range selector, although UnaClocker's idea looks awesome too. At any rate, we'll have to look into the possibility of running with three switches as discussed early in the thread, but if we need four, it looks like four are available if we can use the 2wd/4wd input for one of them.

If we are able to move ahead with this in a timely fashion at this point, I'm sure this thread will liven back up with my questions. With Una also on the parallel project, I think we might really make some headway in the development of MShift for the 41te, finally. . .

Thad
UnaClocker

Post by UnaClocker »

Sounds good to me.. The GPIO has to actually show up for sale before I can do anything.. :)
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

Do you know if it's sent, or is it just getting close to being sent?
racerstev

Post by racerstev »

I'm ready to move ahead with it, the one I'm using now is just not doing the job for me.

Steve
racerstev

Post by racerstev »

Could we also multiplex the up/down shift wires? This way we could use existing cruise control switch's to control shifting.

Steve
tjabo

Post by tjabo »

You mean like up for up and down for down ( :lol: ) on a rocker switch or something?
racerstev

Post by racerstev »

No no, the factory cruise control switch's are multiplexed and all use one wire to the PCM. Say when you hit the "set" button you get 3.3 volts, when the
trans controller see's 3.3 volts it is set to upshift. The Reset button on the steering wheel might give 1.1 volts, set the controller to read 1.1 as a
downshift.

When in manual mode you would need to turn off the cruise control to make it work, just a relay on the power wire or something. When in Auto mode
the cruise control can go back to normal.

Steve