Full time lock up mode

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
gurov

Latest Code Updates

Post by gurov »

Lance wrote:Gurov,

Whoops, you are right, of course, the 'ON' value when on was not in the INI, though it was in the code and manual (a technical f-up on my part).

I have added this, as well as the minimum speed setting to the INI. I have also moved the TCC setting to their own menu on the main page of TS, as it was getting hard to find it the TCC items. I have also moved the TCC PWM period setting from the solenoid setup to the TCC LOAD/PWM% Parameters menu (under TCC on the main menu). I have not updated the manual yet, but will do that shortly.

The INI is 2.00Dx here:http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/fi ... _200Dx.ini

The taper starts at the interpolated value set by the high and low low value and PWM%. It always ends at the "PWM% when ON" value regardless of where the high and low load values are set (because they are only the start values).

Lance.
i will test this out tomorrow evening.

it also makes sense, and i think i can actually make better use of the TCC lock start value that are interpolated to soften up the shifts down low.

my 2-3 shift is very harsh.

is there a taper on the main line pressure engagement from max pressure during shifts to the value looked up from the PC table ? i'm keeping my PC table mostly 100% everywhere except idle and some lower speed cells.
Bernard Fife

Re: Full time lock up mode

Post by Bernard Fife »

gurov,

There is no taper on the line pressure PWM%. There is a taper built in to the actual pressure by the hydraulic components (and the time it takes fluid to flow), of course. That's why we have a pressure adjustment delay in the code.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
gurov

Post by gurov »

Lance wrote:gurov,

There is no taper on the line pressure PWM%. There is a taper built in to the actual pressure by the hydraulic components (and the time it takes fluid to flow), of course. That's why we have a pressure adjustment delay in the code.

Lance.
yeah, i'm not sure how quickly or slowly that actually happens, i'd have to get a pressure sensor and see how quickly that happens.

do you think it could make sense to add a taper to that for comfier control of these things ?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

gurov,

I'd be very wary of adding a taper, as this could easily create ecessive slipping conditions on shifts that could burn up friction components.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
gurov

Post by gurov »

Lance wrote:gurov,

I'd be very wary of adding a taper, as this could easily create ecessive slipping conditions on shifts that could burn up friction components.

Lance.
makes sense.

i'll try this with the TCC taper, since that's actually meant to slip and keep the geartrain locked and see if that makes the shifting less harsh.
gurov

Post by gurov »

what is the purpose of "min vehicle speed" in vss ? speed shows up starting 10 mph, is this what i should be setting it to ?

EDIT: nevermind, actually read the tuning guide. makes sense. i'll play with those settings. bmw doesn't show speed till like 20 mph, until then the speedometer lags by a lot.

i'll try 20 (heh, 15) mph, which is probably going to be the 1-2 shift.
gurov

Post by gurov »

okay, there's some confusion with the low/high load TCC setup, maybe i just didn't quite get what we did, but during normal driving, it's setting the TCC pwm value to the interpolated from the two low/high loads. even full time lock with 100% tcc when engaged doesn't send it to 100%.

my high load was 80%, thinking it would start at 80 and go to 100%, but no such luck.

all i want is normal TCC operation as if it was ON/OFF, but with taper engagement after shifts.

i was thinking the taper would happen from the start value of that is calculated via two value interpolation all the way up to TCCLOCKED% always, no exception.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

gurov,

Sorry about this, I see the problem. The actual PWM was going to the correct value (I did check this on the scope previously), but the datalog values weren't being updated. The TCC is locked in a subroutine call, and the PWM value was set then. When this is done, the datalog value is set to the initial PWM value (as desired). The PWM value is then adjusted 100 times per second in the timer interrupt routine. Unfortunately, I wasn't updating the datalog value in the timer section, so the value stayed stuck at the initial value until the TCC lock or unlock function was called again. (In older code where the TCC was reported as 0 for off and 1 for on, it wasn't necessary to update the value once the TCC was locked, and I missed adding this when we went to reporting the PWM% for the TCC a few weeks ago.)

I will attach 2.00Dx code that fixes this (haven't tested it yet).

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

gurov,

Here is another file with a further small correction for the reported TCC PWM. The value was tapering properly in the code above, but would flicker back to the initial PWM% value occasionally (but immediately return to the proper value). This code fixes that, and will be put on the beta code page (http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2code.html) as 2.00Dx

Lance.
gurov

Post by gurov »

either the code is not reporting TCC pwm right, or full time TCC lock does not unlock TCC during shifts.

but i see the full engagement to 100% now at the first engagement point.