subaru "5eat" also used in nissan g35 and titan

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
frank_stetmail.comr

subaru "5eat" also used in nissan g35 and titan

Post by frank_stetmail.comr »

ok have 2005 subaru legacy gt. i jsut swaped in a 1987 buick 3.8 and holset turbo.
i have the gpio board and i'm in the process of setting it up for the 5 speed tranny.

the shifter is tiptrionic type where it has drive and then slid over for sports mode and then can be manually shifted.
so one input for "drive" and one for "manual mode" as well as "up shift" and "down shift"

the awd clutch will be a simple switch manuall operated ( i have also modifyed the tranny mechanically that it is rear wheel drive and when the clutch engaged 4wd it is no longer "all wheel drive " with the center differential)

my experence is i have set up about 5 cars on ms1 and ms2. I work as a mechanical engineer in montreal i am very well versed in plc ladder logic programming and our newest system is using c. i have modifyed the .ini files in megasqurt before changing variables, default gages and a few other things.

The car is currently running on ms2 msextra 2.1.0 code the car moves under its own power at this point using the stock ecm. i fabricated a clone of the stock subaru reboardluctor ring and attached it to my front pulley. so the stock ecm has tach signal and the tranny functions now. i also used the stock subaru drive by wire throttle body ( it has a 0-5v tps output ) the ms2 is running the c31 buick dis ignition system.

i have the gpio sitting on my desk ready to go. what i am seeking is help modifying the code to have 5 on off outputs for the 5 gear solennoids 1 pwm for tcc 1 pwm for pressure control. would like to have 1 out put for a boost dump solenoid for during shifts since this engine is about 600 hp and 550 ft lbs tq running 20 lbs boost. but this is secondary.

people helping me will get maple syrup from my farm and cnc machined parts!
Attachments
tranny logic.jpg
tranny logic.jpg (107.41 KiB) Viewed 14244 times
outputs.jpg
outputs.jpg (158.22 KiB) Viewed 14244 times
Bernard Fife

Re: subaru "5eat" also used in nissan g35 and titan

Post by Bernard Fife »

Frank,

After a quick look, I don't believe you need to change the code. There are 3 shift solenoids, and 2 spare outputs that can be set by gear and other parameters (http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2tune.html#s). So there's your 5 outputs.

There is already PWM line pressure control via a 12x12 table. However, PWM on the TCC may present some conflicts if using both spare outputs.

If you tell us how you plan to use each of the GPIOs outputs (it's a little hard to grasp in a quick look at the table), we can see what might be done with the code.

We won't be adding boost control, though - it really doesn't belong on a trans controller, and to do it right requires more than a single output. So you would have to do that coding on your own.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
frank_stetmail.comr

Post by frank_stetmail.comr »

Lance wrote:Frank,

After a quick look, I don't believe you need to change the code. There are 3 shift solenoids, and 2 spare outputs that can be set by gear and other parameters (http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2tune.html#s). So there's your 5 outputs.

There is already PWM line pressure control via a 12x12 table. However, PWM on the TCC may present some conflicts if using both spare outputs.

If you tell us how you plan to use each of the GPIOs outputs (it's a little hard to grasp in a quick look at the table), we can see what might be done with the code.

We won't be adding boost control, though - it really doesn't belong on a trans controller, and to do it right requires more than a single output. So you would have to do that coding on your own.
Lance.
Hey thanks for the quick reply!
as for the boost controler .. its not what i ment. what i ment was simple signal to open a dump valve to reduce torque during shifts. I have read about the timming retard during shifts but that can be a little dangerous on some higher boost cars.

what i had planed for the out puts is the 4 high currant outputs for the shift solenoids + 1 pwm converted to simple on off ( they are actually all pwm on the tranny but will put a resistor or what ever need be to make them simple on off ) . then a pwm for the line pressure control and one pwm for the tcc. but the tcc is not nessasary to be pwm.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Frank,

Yes, but I think a control like that belong in a boost controller, not a trans controller. We could cut fuel during a shift, that's already in the CAN infrastructure.

It sounds like there are already the outputs you need, and there should be the programming in place to control them. In the cucrrent code/hardware, there are:
- 4 shift solenoid outputs (all with PWM),
- one spare output (on/off) - actually there are two spare outputs, but one will be used for the PWM TCC - you can use both if you on/off the TCC,
- a PWM TCC output,
- a PWM line pressure output.

There is lots of info on these here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2tune.html

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Frank,

It occurred to me that you *might* be able to use the 'clutch outputs' for your boost dump solenoid. A clutch output is active only during a shift. There is more on this here:

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2tune.html#s

But I'm not sure you will have this option still available with the other options you choose.

Lance.
ClimberD

Post by ClimberD »

Hi Frank,

Could you please help me understand how there are only 5 driving solenoids (not counting line pressure and tcc), but 10 total driving solenoids/brakes (6 clutches, 4 brakes) listed in the manual? How are all these different functions controlled and performed?

On the Valve Body:
Input Clutch Solenoid
High & Low Reverse Clutch Solenoid
Direct Clutch Solenoid
Front Brake Solenoid
Low Coast Brake Solenoid

Others listed in the Operation Table:
Reverse Brake
Forward Brake
1st One-way Clutch
Forward One-way Clutch
3rd One-way clutch

Thank you,
David
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

David,

I don't know anything about this particular transmission or it's manuals, but trans manuals often list the solenoids and the mechanical parts (brakes and clutches) they control together. The only part the controller works on is the solenoids, and these then control the clutches and brakes (either directly or by applying/releasing hydraulic pressure).

Lance.
ClimberD

Post by ClimberD »

Lance, I cannot begin to express my gratitude to you for all you have put into developing and supporting this project.

This is my first experience with setting up a controller of any sort. I'm very green to the process. I will continue to post here as I get into this. Hopefully Frank pulls the trigger on the install before I do.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ClimberD,

I was a complete novice with electronics not too long ago. MegaSquirt helped me to learn quite a lot about electronic hardware and code, and I am happy to contribute code and hardware where I can. Hopefully others are learning as well.

And I like to do the documentation. Then at least I know where to find info when I forget things!

However, lots of people have contributed to MegaShift, most privately and some on these forums. So the thanks really ought to go to them.

Lance.
ClimberD

Post by ClimberD »

I did more research:
There are 4 mandatory shift solenoids. Additionally, there is a 5th one that activates "more aggressive" engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear, mostly in Sport Shift Mode. I'm going to do some soul searching to see how much I want that 5th solenoid, as it would be hugely helpful to have that Spare Port available to actuate something only during each shift (the aforementioned pressure dump solenoid that will temporarily cut manifold pressure so the car can shift without 500chp entering the transmission).

Hopefully the stock TCU can be left in place. The hope here is that the MegaShift would be a piggyback, controlling all shift function, TCC and line pressure. The stock TCU would hopefully still control the center diff, and keep the other systems happy with a CAN VSS signal. It will be interesting to see whether the TCU can be kept from pulling timing during shifts, while still allowing center diff clutch function with the Lateral G sensor. Worst comes to worst, I will create my own Center Diff controller, or just use a switch like Frank.

Lance,
Is this a comprehensive list of all the MegaShift GPIOs, or is there standard functionality available that is not listed? http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/hardware.html

If there are extra outputs available that are not listed/used for the 4L60E, then we are in BUSINESS!

To recap, I'm hoping for:
5 shift solenoids (but perhaps could settle for 4)
TCC solenoid (preferably w/ LU Feel)
PC solenoid
Spare On/Off Output to activate a relay only during a shift.

Edit: I just looked in a different manual, and it is much more comprehensive regarding PWM of each solenoid. I will digest it all later.