No signal from VSS and Line Pressure is odd

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
mcneil

No signal from VSS and Line Pressure is odd

Post by mcneil »

Setup is a 4L65e with the Novak NP241 tailshaft adapter, using a Novak-supplied pickup that looks like this:
https://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/MP-8802N.pdf

The MegaShift worked and reported VSS when the harness was bench tested using a TStim.

Installed, there's no signal whatsoever from the VSS. No glaring wiring problems, and the engine/trans are grounded straight to the negative terminal of the battery.

Also, the line pressure seems to be reading about 1/100th of what it should be. The values do change. I'm baffled; it seems like a wiring issue, but the wiring all checks out.

Attached log is from a run with the rear wheels on jackstands.
Attachments
2015-09-05_16.35.10.msl
(93.93 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
2015-09-05_16.36.50.msq
(45.61 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
Bernard Fife

Re: No signal from VSS and Line Pressure is odd

Post by Bernard Fife »

mcneil,

The log doesn't show any sign of a VSS signal at all. Since it worked on a stim, there is likely an issue with the wiring. If this was mine I would check the VSS signal with an oscilloscope at the AMP connector. It could be that the sensor isn't positioned correctly with respect to the teeth. You could also measure the resistance across the VSS sensor at the Ampseal connector (to ground) - it should show some resistance - i.e. not zero and not infinity - ideally it should be ~975 or ~2500 Ohms (depending on which sensor you have).

I'll have a look at the line pressure issue when I get a chance.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
mcneil

Post by mcneil »

Thanks, I may have a problem with my sensor.
I made a pigtail to hook my tstim into the harness. I'm using a 4-pin connector for the pressure sensor and the VSS. VSS & sensor ground connect at pin 2 and this is where I connected the Tstim.

With the Tstim connected, vehicle speed reports fine. I can't get a good reading on the sensor because my multimeter isn't reading resistance anymore (new Fluke on order), but that may be the problem.
mcneil

Post by mcneil »

This was solved, problem was the sensor not deep enough. The 5/8-18 thread in the output adapter had a burr that stopped the sensor about 1/4" out, so there was no signal. Chased the thread, put it back in, and it worked fine.

A Fluke 116 with the frequency setting does a great job of reading the VSS. I can't see how I got by without one before.