AW30-40 / A340E

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
vihvila

AW30-40 / A340E

Post by vihvila »

Spec from Volvo: http://caunter.ca/volvo960/ce14807.pdf

I am upgrading my Volvo 940 2.3L tuned naturally aspirated engine with ms2 or ms3. I am also installing AW30-40 Automatic gearbox from 960. Sensors and solenoids are clear to me but the gearbox has gear position sensor that has P-R-N-D-3-L

According to file above is my thinking right?
example

Original TCM pin 19 is Input1
TCM pin 20 is Input 2
TCM pin 21 is Input 3
TCM pin 22 is Input 4

but how i configure the Input data on MShift? All pictures that i have looked from internet has text "Must Be Unique Each Gear" but in D the pin 20 and 21 is connected on every gear.

And i have not found voltage or Hz scale to fourth solenoid. Can it bee only on/off?

And is there any other problems that i can be having?

Thanks and sorry already :)
Addicted

Re: AW30-40 / A340E

Post by Addicted »

Hello,

I wish I had that much useful data when I started my megashift install! :) There are some striking similarities between your Volvo transmission and my Audi unit, but maybe they both share technology from ZF or similar.

Your input from the gear lever appears very straightforward. Build the board with four lever inputs, each with a pullup then create a truth table for the signal. According to your attached PDF this would be:

P: 0 1 1 0
R: 0 0 1 1
N: 1 0 1 0
D: 1 0 0 1

The inputs above are pins 19, 20, 21 and 22. Example, in Park: pin 19 low, pin 20 high, pin 21 high, pin 22 low.

The differences between D, 3 and L will be controlled mechanically within the transmission so you don't need to worry about them.

Ignore kickdown, megashift doesn't use/need it.

Your mode switch (E,S,W) you will need to decide which 2 you want as megashift currently only switches between 2 tables.

Your Pressure Control solenoid is PWM, the other 3 are on/off (like my Audi) this is deduced by the fact that the the PC solenoid has its own supply and ground, but the other three all ground through the valve body. I'm not sure how you're going to wire them though as they are wired 'backwards'.. normally you supply the solenoid with a common 12v and Megashift controls the ground, yours appears that the TCU controls the 12v feed and has a common ground.
vihvila

Post by vihvila »

Thanks for the quick answer!

I am going to draw the electrics on computer when my project goes on. I will post them here after i have finished them.

Is there any difference on use or install between ms2v3 and ms3?
vihvila

Post by vihvila »

Your input from the gear lever appears very straightforward. Build the board with four lever inputs, each with a pullup then create a truth table for the signal. According to your attached PDF this would be:

P: 0 1 1 0
R: 0 0 1 1
N: 1 0 1 0
D: 1 0 0 1
Have i understanded something wrong because i get these?

P: 1 0 0 1
R: 1 1 0 0
N: 0 1 0 1
D: 0 1 1 0
3: 1 1 1 1
L: 1 0 1 0

i dont belief that the D-3-L is only mechanical becouse in volvo original TCM there is different gear in L with Winter then there is with Economy

I dont have problem selecting the 2 Modes because the volvos original mode panel has one button (winter) and one rocker switch that has economy and sport. So i am going to use the rocker switch to mshift and plan something nice to the winter button.

I live in finland so the winter mode is pretty handy in some tricky spots in traffic but i can live without it. Eco and sport is all i need ;) But the third mode would be nice to have in future. wink wink to developers ;)

And sorry my bad english :)
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I guessed with the nordic name and volvo question you would be in Sweden or Finland (home of the greatest driver ever) :D

If you have a 5v pullup on each of the 4 input pins then when the connection in the lever is 'floating' the processor will see high (5v), when the connection is made in the lever then it is pulled to ground so the processor will see low (0v).

If you have no mechanical shift then I suppose lever position 3 (0 0 0 0) can be assigned to third gear and maybe assign lever position L (0 1 0 1) to second or first.

Where will you get VSS?
vihvila

Post by vihvila »

There is mechanical link to gearbox also and the gear position sensor is on the side the transmission. So no more problem there. Having both have something to do about the "Limb-Home" because i can drive the car even if there is no power at all on the gearbox electronic. i only need manually disengage gear lock from the inside. In "Limb-Home" mode in D there is fourth gear and 3 and L has third gear.

I have planed to use the rear axel sensor. the old gearbox uses it too. it reads toothing from the diff. Is there any limitations about the VSS sensor and for the gearbox input shaft sensor?

Volvo has weird style to deliver speedo signal to all components. signal goes from rear axel to speedo. speedo sends the info to abs and TCM.
And yes my volvo has only one rear abs sensor.

I hope that there is not going to be problems with the VSS.

One chance is that i machine tooth wheel to transmission output shafts flange and make rack for sensor.

i should not google about AW30 gearboxes... There is one model that has been installed on turbo supras that has fifth solenoid for accumulator. More sharpness for Sport mode ;) Can Mshift handle Accumulator solenoid?
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

My audi also sends the VSS signal to the speedo for conditioning before distributing the signal to the ECU, TCU etc..

You would need to explain the accumulator used by Toyota further... my install on the audi uses 7 solenoids so it is likely that Megashift could accomodate the fifth solenoid for it... ;)
vihvila

Post by vihvila »

I know that mshift can handle 5 solenoids but can it handle the programming needed to use the accumulator solenoid.

This topic has the same same question about the accumulator then I have:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=270

The problem is that it need that info to soften the changes when drivin normally but if you use sport or kickdown it changes harder to prevent slipping in gearbox.