Spare port

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: Spare port

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

It works fine here, both with a direct serial connection and for the CAN pass-through to MS2 (w/ 2.920 code).

Are you using a direct serial connection to the GPIO board? If not, it is worth trying it as this will eliminate all sorts of possibilities.

Also, it is not impossible that the S19 file was corrupted when uploaded to the site (even though the file size is correct), so I have re-uploaded it and you might try downloading a fresh copy to install. I have also refreshed the INI.

In looking at your log, the problem may be the file at:
\\VCN.DS.*****.NET\VCE-SEESKRoot\HOME02\E222224\My Documents\Mega_Squirt\TunerStudioProjects\5009\2014-02-11_21.03.52.msq So you might need to create a new fresh project for 5.010, as that one may be scrambled.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.

I really daubt that there is something wrong with my Serial /USB adapter since its working with the 4137 and 5009 code and with my MSII and my MSIII.

I always make a new project when changing code:
> Saving the .msq "save as" first in the current project in this case 5009.
> Exit TS
> Power down GPIO, plugging in boot loader jumper
> Open MS download
> Power on GPIO
> Loading code
> Exit MS loader
> Power off GPIO
> Removing Boot loader jumper
> Opening TS "off line" creating new project using new .ini
> Power on GPIO
> Loading .msq tha was saved in first step
> Power cycle GPIO to apply all settings.

So far its always been working......

I will re-load the code making a new project and see if its working using my latest 4137 .msq

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I really doubt that there is something wrong with my Serial /USB adapter since its working with the 4137 and 5009 code and with my MSII and my MSIII.
Tobmag,

I was more interested in whether this is a serial issue or a CAN pass-through issue (which could implicate the second CAN controller), that's why I suggested you connect directly to the GPIO rather than the engine controller (if you haven't already).

The reason I thought you might need to make a new project (besides the error in the comm log) is that it is numbered 5009 instead of 5010.

To load your MSQ you must have comms at some point, so the issue may be in your MSQ. Could you post that for me to try here? I have loaded a 4.136 MSQ to 5.010 code without problems, but yours may be different.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

I was more interested in whether this is a serial issue or a CAN pass-through issue (which could implicate the second CAN controller), that's why I suggested you connect directly to the GPIO rather than the engine controller (if you haven't already).
OK now I get it, Im connecting directly to the GPIO via a serial/USB adapter.

Attached .msq that wa used on the 5010 tentative(5009 msq). I went from 5009 to 5010 directly, no go so reloaded 4137 and uesd that .msq without any issue.

BR//Tobmag
Attachments
2014-02-08_21.36.13.msq
4137 msq
(45.43 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
2014-02-11_21.03.52.msq
5009 msq
(49.78 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

I have just tried both of these MSQ's with 5.010 here on my bench, and they work fine for me (with both a direct serial connection and using the CAN pass-through).

So something odd is going on. I am using TunerStudio 2.5.10. If you haven't updated TS for a while, you might try doing that (though I haven't changed much in the comms lately that should make a difference to TS).

Lance.
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.

Dowloaded the s19 and ini and all is now ok.

Question;

Where do I find this setting in TS?
- Aux Volts (x100) to the available indices for all spare ports. x100 means that you would enter a value of 325 in the index bin for 3.25 Volts, 189 for 1.89V, etc.
This part I do find;
- 'Gear Indicator' mode for spare port 2. This mode lets the user set an independent PWM percent and period (=1/freq) for each gear (PNR1234...8).

I have CAN enabled so I assume its picking up the volatge from non can load but cant set the voltage divider anywhare....
There is no Tuning window avalible either,
PWM index is greyed out when selecting "Gear Indicator" for SP2

Now running TS 2.5.10

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

Aux Volts (x100) is one of the options for indices under spare ports for the PWM lookup tables. The possibilities are: Load, Speed, RPM, Temperature (only positive temperatures are allowed), Current Gear (only positive gears allowed, i.e. neutral/park through 8th), MAP, TPS, and Aux Volts (x100) (means that you would enter a value of 325 in the index bin for 3.25 Volts, 189 for 1.89V, etc.) .

For spare port 1, you will find these under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 1 PWM Setup -> PWM Index', for example. Aux volts will be used as an index whenever PWM is applied using the PWM look-up table (i.e. not in speedo mode on spare port 0, and not in gear indicator mode for spare port 2, and not in line pressure mode for spare port 3).

BTW, aux_volts (x100) can be used as an index at any time, whether CAN is enabled or not.

You can read more about this here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5 ... ml#indices

In gear indicator mode, the PWM table is not used at all for spare port 2 (so aux_volts for sp2 is not available either, of course). The PWM percent and frequency is determined entirely from the values entered for each gear in two menus:
- The PWM percentage in each gear is set under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 2 Gear PWM' (which in turn is only accessible if you have chosen Gear Indicator mode for spare port 2 under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Ports Function').
- The PWM period (i.e. the frequency) in each gear is set under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 2 Gear Period' (which in turn is only accessible if you have chosen Gear Indicator mode for spare port 2 under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Ports Function').

So there is no lookup table in gear indicator mode, and you do not need to use the Aux_volts index at all for that (since the code already knows the gear you are in). Instead you can directly enter the PWM percentage and/or the desired frequency (=1000/period) for each gear in the menus above. This allows all of the function of a 1D PWM table with a gear lookup, except it also allows:
- variable frequencies between gears,
- negative gears, and
- the code to differentiate between neutral and park.

Lance.
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

So there is no lookup table in gear indicator mode, and you do not need to use the Aux_volts index at all for that (since the code already knows the gear you are in).
Now I'm lost, please explain how the code can know what position the gear selector lever is in? It knows Cgear and Tgear today but how does it know the difference between P and D on the 4L80E.
Input signals are the same from the pressure switches....

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

The code always has to know the gear lever position, that is its single most important input (otherwise bad things could happen inside the transmission). The code keeps track of that in a value referred to as manual_gear (for 'manual gear lever position'), and this is one of the gauges available.

Current_gear follows manual_gear in park, neutral or reverse, but is the selected gear otherwise (i.e. in a forward gear). The gear indicator mode follows the current_gear (though I suppose manual gear could be added as an option - though it is the same in PNR and less useful in most other cases).

Not everyone has a 4L80e :-) That's one of the many considerations we have when making additions to the code. So while the park/neutral distinction won't apply to you, I'll bet someone would ask for it before very long if it wasn't there.

If I am understanding correctly, however, you want to be able to distinguish between Park and Neutral using a separate signal (Aux Volts (x100))? I suppose I could add an option to gear indicator mode to let the user set an aux voltage for each gear, then you would still have both the PWM percent and frequency parameters for each gear. This does involve some coding, as the input parameters have to be sorted and valid ranges have to be calculated before they can be compared to the actual voltage.

BTW, the second most important input is the speed signal, as you know (but I note it for others that stumble on this thread at a later date).

Lance.
tobmag

Post by tobmag »

Lance.

I think we are thinking in different ways.....

The new gear indicator mode you have coded for SP2 is showing Cgear?
In that case selecting D will indicate 1st gear if standing still.

Cgear I will get from the LED's

What I wanted was a gear lever indicator with the possibility to show P-R-N-D-3-2-1

So yes :D I will need the aux volt as input and gear indicator mode as output as it is now, that would sort it...
Just need to add a suiteble pot on the gear selector.

BR//Tobmag