Motorcycle Gearbox Control

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
GordonP

Motorcycle Gearbox Control

Post by GordonP »

I am investigating suitable hardware for use with a sequential motor cycle gearbox, and wondered if the Megashift would do the job. Basically, there would be three actuators, one for indexing the gear selector barrel, one to operate the clutch, and one for blipping the throttle on downshifts. I'm not bothered if the existing code can't handle this type of application, as I would expect to design my own control strategies. What I am really looking for is a suitable hardware platform, and suitable tools for carrying out parameter tuning and reprogramming. I could possibly design my own hardware, but my time is limited. For the initial system, I would plan to use the existing engine ECU. However, the final solution may well incorporate this as well.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.
GordonP

Re: Motorcycle Gearbox Control

Post by GordonP »

I'm guessing, by the eerie silence, that nobody has tried controlling a motorcycle/sequential gearbox with the MSGPIO?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Gordon,

The current trans code may well work for this. You would have to do some homework on the outputs: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V22tune.html#h

However, you certainly can use the GPIO hardware to do this, see this: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/index.htm There is a start of a code project for general use here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/iocode/code.htm

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
GordonP

Post by GordonP »

Thanks Lance. I haven't got very far with this project yet, but was wondering if the template code project that you mentioned would run ok on an MS2 ECU. The reason I ask is that I bought one of these a few years ago, but never got round to using it! The MS2 that I have has the V3 pcb and MS2 daughter board. Once the gearbox control part of the project is complete, I would then like to add the capability to control the engine as well from the same hardware. However, the only source code that I can find for engine control is the MS2Extra stuff, but this doesn't appear to use the Code Warrior tool chain. I think this uses a GCC compiler under Linux. The engine is currently a single cylinder KTM with fuel injection and stepper motor idle control.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I ...was wondering if the template code project ... would run ok on an MS2 ECU
GordonP,

Yes, the MShift code will run on an MS-II because they have identical processors (but the I/O circuits will not be optimal, obviously). I have done this many times on the bench. The tach input on MS-II becomes the VSS input, which is handy.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw