Audi 094 4 Speed - Solenoid Output

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
KamikazeTuner

Audi 094 4 Speed - Solenoid Output

Post by KamikazeTuner »

I built my GPIO board to the 4L60E Trans specs as it resembles my Audi 094 trans in general operation. Except that The Audi 094 has 7 solenoids. 4 of them are gear solenoids, 2 are Clutch solenoids, and 1 is a Pressure Control Solenoid. The Pressure control Solenoid is the only one that will need PWM. So, I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to setup my output solenoid controls as follows.
Output 1 - VB1 - Solenoid 1
Output 2 - VB2 - Solenoid 2
Output 3 - VB3 - Solenoid 3
Output 4 - VB4 - Solenoid 4

Spare Output 1 - PWM 2 - Solenoid 5 (use as shift Solenoid)
Spare Output 2 - PWM 4 - Solenoid 7 (use as shift Solenoid)
Output 6 - PWM 3 - Solenoid 6 (use PWM)

Seems like it would make more sense. The hardware is already setup for this, I just don't know where to make the appropriate changes in TunerStudio MS. Will this require a change in the embeded code of the GPIO?

I am running MShift software version - GPIO_MShift_2202
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bernard Fife

Re: Audi 094 4 Speed - Solenoid Output

Post by Bernard Fife »

KT,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. However, this may help: You set up the spare ports under 'Spare Ports' on the main menu. Start with the 'Spare Port Function': http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V22tune.html#sf When you set the spare ports to shift outputs, then they will be visible in the 'Shift Output Patterns' menu (next).

For all of the the shift solenoids (incl. spare ports if configured as shift outputs), you set these up under 'Shift Output Patterns' on the main menu: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V22tune.html#h

Clutch patterns are set under 'Shift Output Patterns/Clutch Pattern' ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V22tune.html#hh ), but these are only visible after the spare output has been set to a clutch output above.

The pressure control solenoid is already set up as an output on - PT2 - PWM3 - Amp 27, see 'Tables/Pressure Control Table': http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V22tune.html#ap

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
KamikazeTuner

Post by KamikazeTuner »

Lance,
As always, Thank you for the quick response. The problem is that when I set Spare 1 and 2 to Clutch outputs, I lose a shift solenoid (3 shifts and 2 clutch) and when I set them all as Shift solenoids, I am still short one shift solenoid. Thanks to the TransStim, I was able to figure out I am not getting an output signal from VB2/Spare Output 2 and no response from my TCC output. All other outputs look to be working fine.
To clear up my original question. I would like to configure VB1, VB2, VB3 and VB4 as Outputs 1, 2, 3 ,4 and leave my Spare Outputs 1 and 2 to control my Clutch Solenoids. It would make more logic for my application. If not, I will try to work around it.

P.S. My Pressure Control is working great, so that solenoid does not need any further mods.
Attachments
VB2 issue.JPG
VB2 issue.JPG (43.73 KiB) Viewed 12570 times
KamikazeTuner

Post by KamikazeTuner »

Lance,
I just noticed a HUGE mistake in my part. When building the board, in particular jumping the 25x2 headers. I accidentally jumped AD1 to VB2 instead of the correct method of AD1 to GPI2. That explains why I an having all these issues with Inputs and Outputs. I will correct it and report back.
KamikazeTuner

Post by KamikazeTuner »

Well, It sort of fixed some of the problem. I gained access to VB2 (SpareOutput 2) But after about 1 hour of playing with it, I have lost all 3 of my inputs. I am getting 4.5Volts out of wires 6, 25 and 26 on the Amp connector, and my TransStim is grounding correctly. Not sure what is going on now. What a roller-coaster ride this module has been!! Tried to start from scratch and reload the .S19 file, but it won't load!!! Ahhhhggg!!!! Granted this is my first MegaShift build, I'm not giving up!!
KamikazeTuner

Post by KamikazeTuner »

Got everything working great!! There is some incorrect info on the Build Manual regarding the RX and TX signal. I will start a new thread with my findings, few people will find it in this Audi Transmission thread. Hopefully it will help others going thru a similar dilemma.
KamikazeTuner

Correction and advice-

Post by KamikazeTuner »

Here is a link to that correction I mentioned on my previous post. It is very important if you are running your serial communication out of the AMP connector. See the following link-- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=457

Also, it is recommended to cycle the power (off-on) when making changes. I found it much more reliable to make changes with the Board OFF, then cycling after that to be sure that Tuner Studio and the board are synced up. It's takes a little bit more time, but I have not had any more issues after doing it this way.
1. with the board off. Make changes in Tuner Studio.
2. Turn the board on and allow Tuner Studio and the board to sync. (will ask for your approval to the changes)
3. Turn the board off (be sure its completely off...about 5-10 seconds) the on one more time to make sure everything is synced. (not required, but I have not had a problem since doing it this way)
Also, take good notes of all the changes you make, if things are not responding the way you expect them to, you may have to reload the .s19 file. It cleared up lots of small problems I was having. Now my board is working GREAT!!
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I was wondering how things went with this project as I too am planning to fit megashift to a Audi 4 speed transmission.. would be nice to know that someone has already got it working..
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Please delete this post admin
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

OK, being a new user I cannot delete or edit my posts so please ignore the post above :) my hyperlink was for the v2.2 code. I see that the newer code will allow me to do what I need for my Audi 097, thanks Lance.

I just need KamikazeTuner to log back in, especially if he has the shift patterns in a manual as I'm struggling to find that info..