4126b and earlier issues with voltage gear lever

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
ashford

4126b and earlier issues with voltage gear lever

Post by ashford »

i tried out the 4126b code today and it did fix a few gear hunting issues, but i am finally trying to hunt down a problem since my first install with it circa 4115 with the new gear selector logic.
whenever the gear selector changes the gpio commands gear 0 then 1 and keeps it till it is stopped or rpm checking is hit or maybe i have to get to the part of the map where it is supposed to be in first gear then cross to 2nd.it also seems to get stuck in 3rd gear sometimes on the hihgway.

a second issue but no big deal is when i flash a new code then inport my msq and before i update my thermistor tables the temp reading is showing about 80 degrees colder than what it actuall is and off the graph i have for fan control and turns it on.

i have attached 3 logs the earlist one is just some driving around. i hit the space bar 3 times when it was stuck in 3rd gear. then later tapped it twice when i physically changed to 2nd gear. the shifting was all screwd up after that point.

the later 2 logs were of it while drag racing today i used a seperate shift table for it the logs are for reference if you wish, the only problems i had were on the return road.
ashford

Re: 4126b and earlier issues with voltage gear lever

Post by ashford »

forgot logs
Attachments
capri.zip
(732.47 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I'll have a look when I get a chance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,
when i flash a new code then inport my msq and before i update my thermistor tables the temp reading is showing about 80 degrees colder than what it actuall is
Yes, that's how it works. You have to update the thermistor table when you flash new code, because the new code overwrites the table with default values.

Your shifting screwed up because the controller didn't know which gear the manual lever was in. You can see this in the log immediately before the shifting issues where the mGear (manual Gear) drops to minus 99, which is a code for no gear pattern found matching the current input states. You need to make sure the controller *always* knows the position of the manual gear lever. The controller can be confused in one of two ways:
1) it receives signals that correctly describe the gear lever inputs, but that don't match any of the user settings (incl. the voltage thresholds), OR
2) the wiring is suspect, and intermittently results in an 'out-of-bounds' condition. Often this is caused by a loose connection.
I think #2 is more likely in most cases.

In your case, in1adc is climbing from 1.932 to 4.177 volts, over the period of confusion, which seems odd and should be addressed. In2adc is steady at 0.0 volts, while in3adc seems to vary more than I would have expected (2.83 to 3.23 Volts) which may or may not be an issue depending on your threshold voltage setting..

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
ashford

Post by ashford »

Lance wrote:ashford,
when i flash a new code then inport my msq and before i update my thermistor tables the temp reading is showing about 80 degrees colder than what it actuall is
Yes, that's how it works. You have to update the thermistor table when you flash new code, because the new code overwrites the table with default values.
Your shifting screwed up because the controller didn't know which gear the manual lever was in. You can see this in the log immediately before the shifting issues where the mGear (manual Gear) drops to minus 99, which is a code for no gear pattern found matching the current input states. You need to make sure the controller *always* knows the position of the manual gear lever. The controller can be confused in one of two ways:
1) it receives signals that correctly describe the gear lever inputs, but that don't match any of the user settings (incl. the voltage thresholds), OR
2) the wiring is suspect, and intermittently results in an 'out-of-bounds' condition. Often this is caused by a loose connection.
I think #2 is more likely in most cases.
the input smoothing introduced in code 4117(?) makes the voltage move very slowly compared to actual input, so of course it will be inbetween threshold for a period of time. the smoothing also makes the voltage settle about .03v from actual, if i approach drive from park it settles on about 1.93v if i approach drive from 2nd it selltes on 1.875. the problem i see is why does it default to the lowest gear(same sol state as neutral) instead of holding the last known good position. also in the log why did tgear go to -99 and hold there when mgear and cgear were solid? i tried 2204 and these problems are not present.
In your case, in1adc is climbing from 1.932 to 4.177 volts, over the period of confusion, which seems odd and should be addressed. In2adc is steady at 0.0 volts, while in3adc seems to vary more than I would have expected (2.83 to 3.23 Volts) which may or may not be an issue depending on your threshold voltage setting..
if you are talking about the last few seconds that is where i put it in park from drive that is the "smoothing" affect i was talking about. in2 is supposed to be used for 3rd gear switch i have not yet implemented it and have grounded the wire.in 3 is unused and is a floating value(no circuit built)

Lance.
Attachments
2204logs.zip
(92.54 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Ashford,

There is not supposed to be any smoothing of the signals when the digital inputs are used, so I will have a look at that.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Ashford,

Yup, as you pointed out, there was smoothing even when a digital signal was used. This has been removed from the following test code (and will become standard on all future codes if it works properly in testing):
Monitor_4126c.abs.s19
Uses standard 4.1267 INI. Untested, so use with caution.
(71.04 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
That is the only change to this code, so it uses the standard 4.126 INI. This code is entirely untested, so use it only with great caution, and be prepared to revert to older code at any time.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

The following code has the fix above, plus one line of code (a flag for P/N) removed that may have been causing the gear to not remain in the last state when the gear lever position was indeterminate.:
Monitor_4126d.abs.s19
Uses standard 4.126 INI. Use with caution.
(71.04 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
As before, this code is entirely untested, so use it only with great caution, and be prepared to revert to older code at any time.

Lance.
ashford

Post by ashford »

ok i'll give it a brief try tonight, im about to pull the trans to fix a pump leak.
ashford

Post by ashford »

no real change from before in behaviour, the in1adc seems to be a bit less slugishbut still goes to gear 1 when there is a change in mgear.
Attachments
2013-07-23_00.25.38.msl
(743.75 KiB) Downloaded 565 times