Ford E4OD support

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
cobra2411

Ford E4OD support

Post by cobra2411 »

I'm in the process of converting an 86 F250 to EFI using a MS3 with the MS3x and I will be adding an E4OD transmission. I was looking at another controller but I would like to keep everything MS if I can.

Other that knowing that there is work on a MS based trans controller I know very little about the GPIO/MegaShift project.

I know the trans I have is the earlier one with the analog range selector.

There is the following:
Coast Clutch Solenoid
Shift Solenoid 1
Shift Solenoid 2
Converter Clutch Solenoid
Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid
Trans Fluid Temp Sensor

In addition there's also the VSS/TSS and the already mentioned analog range sensor that takes 2 wires, the neutral safety switch and backup lamp switch.

The VSS delivers 8 pulses per speedometer rotation. It piggybacks with the standard cable speedometer cable so it's speed can be changed by the drive and driven gear located inside the trans.

Will it work? Any tips? Ideas?

I'm thinking of getting the GPIO board and the Trans 'kit' from DIYAutoTune for it but should I look at something else?

Thanks,
David
cobra2411

Re: Ford E4OD support

Post by cobra2411 »

Ok, got some information from a retired Ford transmission engineer.

The Coast Control Solenoid is used to provide engine braking while in gears 1-3. It should never be used in 4th as it will cause a tie-up condition where rotating parts inside the transmission stop rotating... It can be left off as the function is provided hydraulically in 1 and 2 if manually selected. Ford engages the CCS when the OD button is switched off.

Shift solenoids are as follows.

Gear | Sol 1 | Sol 2
P | On | Off
N | On | Off
R | On | Off
1 | On | Off
2 | On | On
3 | Off | On
4 | Off | Off

The EPS curve, based on a current aftermarket controller is 110ma at TPS 0 down to 0ma at TPS 100%. Production software is based off engine torque as a base pressure and TPS adds pressure as needed at the time of a shift. The aftermarket controller uses Alpha-N control to control the path to ground.

The temperature sensor is mainly to adjust line pressure for fluid below 0°F and above 220°F. It's not a linear scale though. Pressures rise when cold to account for the thicker fluid and rise when hot to account for expansion and extra internal fluid leakage. The adjustments are not huge I was told.

The Torque Converter Control is simply on/off. Later 4R100's are PWM. The E4OD can not do PWM without internal changes due to orifice restrictions. The restriction slows the TC lockup. Later 4R100's are 'wide open' so to speak and use PWM to control the speed of lockup.
cobra2411

Post by cobra2411 »

Ok, so EPS is actually EPC (electronic pressure control). Ford controls that via current control. The engineer I spoke to isn't sure about PWM. He didn't say it wouldn't work, just that he has no idea.

The CCS in an interesting bag. It should only be on during coast and again, never in 4th. If it's left on in 1-3 it changes the trans from a non-synchronous shift to a synchronous shift. Timing is all electronic via the solenoids and Ford did make some synchronous shift transmissions for a desert race team and did very well with them. Timing is critical though as one clutch is added another must be released. If they overlap you have a tie-up and rotating parts stop rotating. If they're too far apart you have a slip and you have an RPM flair. This looks good for someone else to develop for a race effort. They won many race championships including the Baja 1000 several times. For me it's not worth it.

However, I will try and engage the CCS while in coast in 1-3 for engine braking. Since I don't like to go into OD till about 45-50mph that would allow me to drive around town with the trans in 3rd and engine braking available.

The shift solenoids are simple on/off - no PWM needed or even desired.

So it all boils down to whether or not the EPC can be controlled via PWM. I don't see why not. It won't be as efficient as current control but that little difference shouldn't matter. I plan on running a line pressure sensor so I should be able to tune with that.

Lastly, an FYI, there are two range selectors. The early one, 89-95 or so is analog. The later one is digital.

Here are the resistance values. On Fords they never added an extra detent for the extra gear. On the mechanical AOD there is no provision for 2nd gear - (D) D 1 is how the shifter is labeled. E4OD's use an O/D cancel button to manually limit it to drive only for towing/heavy load applications.

P = 3770-4607 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 4.41v)
R = 1304-1593 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 3.60v)
N = 660-807 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 2.83v)
(D) = 361-442 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 2.09v)
2 = 190-232 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 1.37v)
1 = 78-95 Ohms (midpoint voltage - 0.68v)
cobra2411

Post by cobra2411 »

Found out that the later digital range sensor will interchange - the mounts are the same. It has a 5 wire connector.
cobra2411

Post by cobra2411 »

More info... Since I seem to be the only one interested... :)

Gear ratios
1st = 2.71
2nd = 1.538
3rd = 1
4th = .712
Rev = 2.18

Solenoid Resistances
Shift Sol 1 20-30 Ohms
Shift Sol 2 20-30 Ohms
TCC Sol 20-30 Ohms
Coast Clutch Sol 20-30 Ohms
EPC Sol 4.25-6.50 Ohms

Temp Sensor:
32-58 Deg F 100k - 37k
59-104 Deg F 37k - 16k
105-158 Deg F 16k - 5k
159-194 Deg F 5k - 2.7k
195-230 Deg F 2.7k - 1.5k
231-266 Deg F 1.5k - 0.8k

EPC controls main line pressure, pulsed at appropriate duty cycles at 585Hz. Looks like normal voltages are between 7.5 and 12v.

Pressure in drive at idle should be about 75psi. Loaded (stalled) at about half throttle with your foot on the brake should be 145psi. With power disconnected it should be around 190-195psi.

I already listed the ohms/voltages for the analog range sensor used from 89 to 97. Some 97 E4OD models and all 4R100 models used a digital range sensor or Digital Transmission Range sensor (DTR). Here's the pinout information. The sensors physically interchange but the connectors are different and the factory analog PCM will not read the DTR. The early analog sensors suffered from water intrusion problems and a replacement/upgrade was issued in 1995. Given that MegaShift can do either I plan on upgrading to the later digital range sensor.

Terminals | Park | Rev | Neutral | Drive | 2nd | 1st
2 & 3 | Closed | 270Ω | 270Ω | 270Ω | Closed | Closed
2 & 4 | Closed | Closed | Closed | Open | Open | Open
2 & 5 | Closed | Closed | Open | Open | Closed | Open
2 & 6 | Closed | Open | Closed | Open | Open | Closed
9 & 11 | Open | Closed | Open | Open | Open | Open // Reverse switch
10 & 12 | Closed | Open | Closed | Open | Open | Open // Neutral safety switch

I think I have enough info to feel safe ordering a GPIO board and taking the next step... Unless I find something useful to post updates are likely going to be a while down the road... Hopefully not more than a few months though.
cobra2411

Post by cobra2411 »

For 585hz I would set the PC PWM Period in Tuner Studio to 1.709 milliseconds?

1 / 585 x 1000 = 1.709. Is that the correct formula for figuring that out?
92BRONCO393

Post by 92BRONCO393 »

I assure you that youre not the only one interested. Thanks for posting all the info. I have searched high and low for a wiring diagram for the megashift to the e4od with no luck. Have you by chance seen one?
Thanks, Chris
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

Here's a proposed pinout that I sent to Chris already; I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading this thread.

GPIO pin
1 12V power
2 VSS input
3 Brake sensor
5 2WD / 4WD switch
6 Overdrive switch
13 CANH to ECU
16 CANL to ECU
17 Sensor Ground
18 Ground
19 Ground
20 Ground / serial ground
21 Serial
22 Serial
23 #1 shift solenoid
24 Shifter analog input
28 VREF
30 Temperature sensor
32 Clutch control solenoid
33 Pressure control solenoid
34 Clutch coast solenoid
35 #2 shift solenoid
stefanst

Post by stefanst »

Going to build an MS3(X) for a friend's F150. The truck has the E4OD, so I'm very interested. If we can't go with the MegaShift, we'd have to buy another aftermarket controller at approx. $600.
Do you need any additional information that I can try and dig up for you?
Raymond_B

Post by Raymond_B »

I hope you guys do not mind me resurrecting this thread. I am looking at an MS3/MS3X and GPIO Megashift for my 1995 Lightning. These trucks came with E4OD, 351w, and are OBD-I speed density. I have been contemplating a parallel install and letting the factory EEC control the E4OD (with me tuning it via a chip), but after talking with Matt via email a bit it seems like this might be the better way to go.I've done tons of tuning via EEC-Tuner, TwEECer, SCT, etc so the software aspect doesn't worry me. It's the trans control hardware items. I am just so unfamiliar with them. This thread looks very promising, have you guys made any progress? Below is the Lightning pinout, very similar to most Ford trucks of the same year I believe.

Lightning PCM Pin # Description
1 (Y) Keep Alive Power Input
2 (LG) Brake ON/OFF Switch Input
3 (GY/BK) VSS Input
4 (T/Y) Ignition Diag Monitor
5 NOT USED
6 (PK/O) VSS Ground
7 (LG/R) ECT
8 (DG/Y) Fuel Pump Monitor
9 (PK/LB) VIP Data Link Connector
10 (PK/LB) AC Cycle Pressure Switch Input
11 (BR) AIRD Solenoid Control
12 (LB/BK) Indicator Lamp to Low Range SW 4x4
13 NOT USED
14 NOT USED
15 NOT USED
16 (O/R) Ignition Ground
17 (PK/LG) Malfunction Indicator Lamp Feed
18 NOT USED
19 (P/O) Trans Shift Sol #2
20 (BK) PCM Case Ground
21 (W/LB)Idle Air Control Output
22 (LB/O) Fuel Pump Enable Output
23 (Y/R) Knock Sensor Input
24 (Y/LG) Power Steering Pressure Switch Input
25 (GY) IAT Input
26 (BR/W) Reference Voltage Output
27 (BR/LG) EGR Valve Position Feed
28 (T/O) VIP DLC
29 (GY/LB) HEGO
30 (LB/Y) Manual Lever Position Sensor (w E4OD)
31 (GY/Y) Canistor Purge Solenoid Output
32 (W/LG) Trans Control Indicator Lamp
33 (BR/PK) EGR Control Solenoid Input
34 NOT USED
35 NOT USED
36 (PK) SPOUT
37 ( R ) Power Input
38 (W/Y) Trans Electric Pressure Control
39 NOT USED
40 (BK/W) Ground
41 (T/W) Trans Control Switch
42 (O/BK) Transmission Oil Temp Input