Pressure Control is not responding to Load (GPIO 4L80E)

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
rxl158

Re: Pressure Control is not responding to Load (GPIO 4L80E)

Post by rxl158 »

Lance wrote:Rob,
In the meantime, if you were willing to try 4.146 and report back here, to eliminate any possible hardware issues, that would be helpful.
Lance.
Lance,
I went back to 4.146 code and have no errors loading and logging, just has the line pressure issue.
When I load 5.099y code, no errors loading, but can't log or even stay connected for more than ~30 seconds.
Interesting and repeatable observation I noticed is when key on, engine off, it will connect and log fine and stay online.
If engine is running it will usually go offline within 30 secs or immediately when I touch the brake pedal to put in gear.

I'm currently running around with 5.099y code. I make rough changes offline, download the tune and test drive. It's not ideal but the code seems to be working great, just need to be able to keep the connection from being interrupted like it was with 4.146.
Let me know if you would like me to test any other scenarios or have debugging suggestions.
Rob
DIY'er with Your help :-)
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Rob,

That's odd, because I have no such comms issues here (I have run for hours logging without issues). Do you have the latest version of TunerStudio?

Make sure you are using the appropriate INI of course, as even small changes in different versions can cause fatal comms errors. If it were mie, I would re-download the INI to make sure there were no errors in the download that have corrupted the INI file.

But since this is an 'engine running' issue, I suspect the comms lines (and/or any serial/USB adapter) are picking up interference. You might need to re-route, shield, or shorten either the serial cable or the CANbus wires. And make sure all your ground connections are perfect.

That doesn't explain why it works with 4.146, though... There isn't anything in the code that I can think of that would explain this, however one small factor was changed (the serial time out duration in response to comm errors) so I will attach new 5.099zi code that has this set to the same value as in 4.146 (5 seconds) so you can see if it makes any difference to your setup.
Monitor_5099zi.abs.s19
(83 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
GPIO_MShift_5099.ini
(278.02 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Rob,

I was looking deeper into this, and there was a small change to the fault tolerance settings for TS in the INI between 5.0xx and 4.146. The attached INI sets them back to where they were in 4.146. I don't know if this will help you, but at least it might eliminate one possibility.
GPIO_MShift_5099.ini
(278.17 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
rxl158

Post by rxl158 »

I was looking deeper into this, and there was a small change to the fault tolerance settings for TS in the INI between 5.0xx and 4.146. The attached INI sets them back to where they were in 4.146. I don't know if this will help you, but at least it might eliminate one possibility.
GPIO_MShift_5099.ini
Lance.
Lance, I tried the new 5.099zi and the recent 5099.ini you attached, but no luck, it still drops connection.
Tried to get datalogs, but it goes offline in a few seconds.
For now I made some rough changes and burned them to the MS, but am driving "blind" without being able to datalog or see realtime.
I do have a VDO line pressure gage so I can see line pressure and it seems to be responding.
My 4L80E has a TransGo HD2 kit installed with higher pressure reg spring, so it runs from ~125psi to 200psi with my current PC% settings.

My current setup is:
-A Serial shielded cable 24" long soldered directly to board where DB9 would be (shield grounded at board)
-Serial to USB adapter 30" long
-Comm port "4" used on laptop
-Windows 7

Is there a way to "see" what noise is on the serial line.
I have an old oscilloscope that I could probe around with, but not sure where to start looking?
Thanks,
Rob
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Rob,

Just to be clear, are you connecting to the serial connection on the GPIO board (or on the engine's controller)?

I will have another look in the code to see if I can find any differences in the comms code between 5.099 and 4.146 (there were so many other changes that they can be hard to find, though the basic comms code comms from Al Grippo and is in its own linked files).

The best way to troubleshoot at this point is probably to generate a 'Debug comm log' in TunerStudio. You do this under 'Communications' from the main TS menu. Set that to log (click it so a check appears in the box), then fire up the engine to see what happens.

The log file will be in your Tuner Studio Projects folder, with a name like 'TunerStudioAppDebug.txt That should give us a clue as to what is going on (though I am not an expert at reading these files by any means, and we might need to consult Phil Tobin to sort it out). The log is not destroyed when you start a new debug log, instead it is appended, so the file can get to be very large. If that's the case, you can deleted the file so that a new one will be created from scratch.

I will post here if I find something in the code that might affect this issue.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Rob,

Also, if you were willing to email me your project file for 5.099 (a zipped file is fine) I could try it here.

Lance.
rxl158

Post by rxl158 »

5.099zi_project_3_23_2015.msq
Recent Project File (5.099zi code)
(57.06 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

Also, if you were willing to email me your project file for 5.099 (a zipped file is fine) I could try it here.

Lance.
Hi Lance,
Yes, I'm attached directly to the GPIO board where the DB9 connector would normally go (see attached pic of my GPIO).
I will try to create a "Debug comm log" and share soon.
Also attached is my latest Project file.

Rob
Attachments
GPIO pic
GPIO pic
Rob's GPIO V2.10 board.JPG (160.47 KiB) Viewed 11629 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Rob,

Thanks, I tried your msq without issues. Since I couldn't generate any errors, a comms debug log from you would be helpful.

Also, the entire contents of the project folder (as a zipped file) would be very helpful too. This would be the folder somewhere like:

C:\Users\rxl158\Documents\TunerStudioProjects\My Project\

where rxl158 is the username for you on that computer, and My Project will be whatever you called the project when you created it originally.

It may contain any number of files and some sub folders like: dashboard, Datalogs, inc, and projectCfg. If you zip that up and post it, I can try it here (it contains all the settings for the code and TunerStudio, so I can see if anything is wrong there.

Alternatively, you might try creating a new project for 5.099 code. You can do this when you start TunerStudio. You will need to select the most recent INI, of course.

Finally, make sure you have the latest version of TunerStudio (I am using 2.6.18 and it works fine).

I have edited the code for another thread, so I will post it here to make sure you have the latest code to try:
Monitor_5099ziv.abs.s19
(83.17 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
GPIO_MShift_5099.ini
(278.26 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
<edit>Another user has reported significant issues with this code above, so please do not use it, use 5.099ziii instead.</edit>
Monitor_5099Ziii.abs.s19
(83.09 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Lance.
rxl158

Post by rxl158 »

Hi Lance, I ran a Comm Debug Log with current 5.099zi firmware and matching ini.
I didn't get a chance to try the 5.099ziii yet, maybe this weekend.

Attached is the log file and the Project folder in zip format.
Strangely the TS stayed connected for the longest it ever has, maybe just a coincidence ;o

Thanks,
Rob
Attachments
rxl158 beta_2 Project folder 3_26_2015.zip
(86.69 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
rxl158 Comms Debug 3_26_2015.zip
(150.63 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Okay, thanks for those, I will have a look!