VSS help please

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
Addicted

Re: VSS help please

Post by Addicted »

Lance, don't worry too much about my post above, I've spent a few hours reading so should be able to answer most of my rabbling questions myself. I blame my pain killers...
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

OK, I'm off the painkillers now :D

MS2 Extra ECU with MSGPIO running Megashift connected via CAN. Serial connection to the MS2.

Open up project AudiV6 and this is the error;

If I say Yes to connect anyway I get this error:

If I say No to connect anyway I get this:

So, basically, it doesn't work :(

I tried altering the project properties and used the 'detect' option so that it 'found' the MS2 install and accepted it, it then goes back online and returns the original error (slide 1)

I created a new project and connected to the MS2 ECU without CAN and it worked fine. Same goes for connecting directly to the MSGPIO with a new project, works perfect (it loses CLT calibration and no load etc obviously)

Hopefully its a bit clearer now :)
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Any help Lance?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

Do you have both the MShift/GPIO and engine controller set to be CAN ID 0? They must have different CAN IDs. The MShift default CAN ID is 1 (engine code - either B&G or msextra - generally has a default CAN ID of 0). If you are not setting the MShift CAN ID to zero, then I suspect your code has been corrupted and you should re-download it from the site and re-upload it to you GPIO board.

I have just tried newer 5.094 code (and INI, of course) on my bench where it works fine (with 2.920 B&G code and TS 2.6.05) - there are very few changes between 5.093 and 5.094 in the comms code or the INI. This suggests that the problem is either with your CANbus physical connections (I would check them very carefully, if this was mine) or maybe with the engine controller (possibly the way it is handling CANbus pass-through with the old serial format) in which case you will want to check with the msextra developers.

I'll post 5.094 test code here for you to try:
Monitor_5094t1.abs.s19
(78.37 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
GPIO_MShift_5094.ini
(260.87 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
This code has improvements from 5.093, but may not be ready for 'prime time' yet. At very least, it should help sort the comms issues (since it works on my bench).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I see what you mean Lance, something may be making TS think that the GPIO is CAN zero when I go online.. I'll do some more tests tomorrow. I suppose the next step will to raise this over on the Tunerstudio forum..

Out of interest, this is a screendump of the AudiV6 project opened 'offline'. As you can see the main controller is CAN 0 and the GPIO is CAN 1. However, it ALWAYS opens CAN1_currentTune, always has, surely it should open 'currentTune'... although I've never seen a difference between the two..

Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

In addition to trying 5.094 (above), you might also try B&G 2.920 code on your MS2 at the same time temporarily (with a new TS project).

Since that combination works flawlessly on my bench, it should on yours. If it does, then your CANbus physical connections are okay. Go ahead and reload msextra. If there is a problem then, the issue must be with the msextra code.

If 2.920/5.094 doesn't work properly for you, then it is likely an issue with your CANbus physical connection (since these work for me).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I just seem to be going backwards.

I flashed 5.094 onto the GPIO.

I downloaded the latest version of Monitor_v2.920.abs.s19 and used ms2loader_win32.exe to load it onto my MS2.

Went to create new project in TS, used 'detect' and got nothing. TS cannot detect my MS2. I tried using ms2loader_win32.exe to try again. Nothing.
So I tried to reload my Extra firmware the same way, same result. No comms with the MS2.

I then tried going all the way back to using a physical bootloader with MS Download 2.00 but get this:

So there I am, one step forward and 6 back. Now I cannot even commicate with my MS2 :cry: starting to lose the will to live now..
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

It sounds to me like you may have a communications hardware problem on your MS2; but it may be the the bootloader process is not quite right. I may also be that your computer's COM port is failing (or the cable is loose, etc.). If you have another computer handy, you might try that.

The next thing to do is to try the PortCheck program to see if the controller still sends a signature (signifying it has functioning code loaded). Download http://www.megamanual.com/files/software/portCheck.zip, unzip it, then run the .exe program while connected to the controller (after cycling the power without the bootloader grounded). You should get a signature that tells you what code is loaded on the controller, what COM port it is connected to, and what the connection speed is.

If that works, then try to load the code again. Make sure you are following the microsquirt instructions here: http://www.useasydocs.com/details/usv3code.htm (especially the part about grounding the bootloader wire) but using the code from here: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/code.htm.

If that doesn't work, ask on the msextra forums about how to flash back to B&G code after loading msextra.

Lance.
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Hi Lance, for once I wasn't asking for help! but I'm grateful for your input all the same :D . I brought the ECU in the house and redid the software on the bench and it was fine. Althought the B&G code continuously cycled the fuel pump..

So this means the problem is at my end somewhere. Can't find any physical issues yet. I've even replaced the CANBUS wiring (note to self to buy another GPIO connector so I bench test)

I tried going back to earlier versions of your code, all the way back to 4144 which is before I had this problem but the problem persists...
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Well the problem appears to have gone away.

I'm not sure if its cause, but I noticed when I have the B&G code loaded that under Project Properties/Settings there is no options for CAN_COMMANDS. Its only available as part of the CAN Devices, Configuration Settings dialogue.

With MS2 Extra loaded there is a option under Project Properties/Settings to activate/deactivate CAN_COMMANDS as well as under CAN Devices, Configuration Settings.

I used to have CAN_COMMANDS activated under Project Properties/Settings and deactivated under CAN Devices, Configuration Settings.

Now I have the opposite. Under Project Properties/Settings I have CAN_COMMANDS Deactivated(default) and have CAN_COMMANDS activated under CAN Devices, Configuration Settings.

Not sure if that makes sense or not...

(I should point out that I have now lost my RPM input, probably as a result of all the manhandling the ECU has had recently so I won't rule out that that may be a contributing factor yet)