Is this the MSGPIO support forum?

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
tmoble

Is this the MSGPIO support forum?

Post by tmoble »

Only 2 posts in March?

AM I not looking in the right place? Seems like I remember something a lot busier than this?

Just bought a GPIO with 4L60E package from DIY Autotune along with the stim, but assembling the board early on I come to this instruct where it wants me to power up the board but there's no mention of how to power it up?

So this thing is laying on my bench and I see the part about hooking up the serial cable, apparently there's 3 wires, I see the spot on the board to hook up Tx and Rx but where does the ground go?

So if I plug in some of the supplied ampseal wires directly into the connector plug I soldered to the board can I run 12V pos and neg to some of those, install the 2 Rx and Tx jumpers and the serial data ground will just get handled somehow?

I think I have the LM-1 serial cable with the stereo jack somewhere, does it help somehow?
Bernard Fife

Re: Is this the MSGPIO support forum?

Post by Bernard Fife »

tmoble,

Maybe quiet means people are finding what they need in the manual?

Power up the GPIO board by connecting the power supply ground on one of the Ampseal pins 18, 19, 20.

Then apply 12 volts (nominal, 9V to 15V is okay) to Ampseal pin 1.

The Tx and Rx jumper holes are for bring the serial comms out through the Ampseal connector. You can use Ampseal pin 17 as a ground for the serial comm (this is the low current sensor ground - and it is okay to use it for the serial comm ground as well). See A.8. here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/assembly.html

I will add this to the manual.

The Innovate serial cable is the same spec as the GPIO cable. But you have to install the phone jack to use it. The jack installs at the other end of the board from the Ampseal connector. If you install the jack, you don't need jumpers to the Ampseal connector to have serial comms. I don't know if your vendor supplied the jack with the GPIO board, though. There's more serial hardware info here (towards the bottom of the page): http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/index.htm

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

Hi Lance

I noodled it out along the lines you posted. I have the two long jumpers from Tx/Rx to Tx/Rx on the board. I have the jumper on. I'm using a standard car battery, about 12.5 V. I bought from DIY Autotune, no stereo jack. I made a serial cable from a piece of CAT5 using the DB9 connector. I used the AMP pigtail wires for the other end. I used other AMP pigtail wires to make 12V power and ground. I have 12V between 1 and 17,18,19,20. I have 5V at the two leads on the 5V regulator furthest from the edge of the board. I have a USB/Serial dongle attached to an older Dell laptop. In the pic the two on the right are Tx/Rx on 21 and 22, in the middle are the 12V and serial grounds, on the left the 12V pos. I switched the grounds between 17 and 18, no good. I switched 21 and 22, no help. No comms.

loader comes up OK, finds the S19 file, reads it OK. Then I get messages about opening COM4 (correct) at 19,200 (correct), them wake up attempts 9-5, reopen COM 4, wake up attempts 4-0, then ERROR timed out 0xE0. I did turn up the log level to see that 0XE0. settings on the dongle are 19200, 8,N,1, no flow control. tried various flow control, 9600, checked setting same for dongle and loader program.

Unless you have insight into the wake up attempts and 0XE0 I'm going to figure this new Serial/USB dongle is bad. I don't think it's ever getting to the processor.

I think I still have an old Dell desktop that has a serial port, I'll try it.
Attachments
DSCF6846.JPG
DSCF6846.JPG (474.94 KiB) Viewed 21009 times
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

Holy cow, how did my pics get so big? I have an old, very old camera I use for this stuff, it must have reset to max resolution again. Hasn't done that in several years. Sorry about that
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

Dang, found the old Dell with the physical serial port, no good, pretty much exactly the same response. same messages and error code for from the downloader. tried a few different serial port setting being careful sync the port and the program each time.Took my serial cable apart, verified wire colors, pin assignments, continuity. Still getting the message about the wake up attempts and the 0xE0.

Any bright ideas?

oh yeah, tried it without the boot jumper, same. In fact all the dozens of different things I've tried, none has made any difference at all.
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

another pic showing the relevant parts:
Attachments
DSCF6847.JPG
DSCF6847.JPG (477.28 KiB) Viewed 21008 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

tmoble,

The serial port should be 115200, not 19200. But that may not be your problem. Unfortunately, a few GPIOs have managed to escape the factory in the last month without proper bootloaders on them due to flaky BDM hardware. This can easily be put on properly by someone with a BDM cable.

If you got this from DIYautotune, please contact them, Matt will know what to do. If you got it somewhere else, PM me and I can tell you what you should do next. Sorry for the hassle.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

Dang, the board timed me out and ate my reply.

Anyway, I'll try to contact Matt. I could build the BDM cable if need be. Is there detail on it online somewhere?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Is there detail on it online somewhere?
tmoble,

There maybe, I haven't looked. I have always used the P&E cable recommended by Freescale.

Lance.
tmoble

Post by tmoble »

Yeah, I looked at that after working with Matt. Looks like it brings new meaning to the word "cable." :)

Then there's that whole skill set thing with working directly with processor hardware. Last time I worked with anything like that it was one of those new-fangled 8088s. :) Been awhile back now, in the 90's. Early 90's. Those would be the 1990's.

I've now received an address from Matt, will be sending it off, hopefully today.