MegaShift problems / A340

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
puliukk0

MegaShift problems / A340

Post by puliukk0 »

Hi!

Im using Volvo B230FT + AW30-43 (same as AW30-40 or Toyota A340/A343)

Im having problems with:
-TCC works about 30km and then i need to reset MegaShift (sometimes it helps just remove power cables, uploading same code resets MShift 100% sure and it works like 30km again.)
TCC works like charm first, but then its going to ON-OFF-ON-OFF motion. And i checked (got log) that if i drive 120kmh and usually 5-15% load (got only tps) (my limit tcc 75kmh / load below 25%)
I have also 0-10seconds Hysteris Time. Still same, only lenght of OFF is longer. Its software bug(?) (because log shows steady readings of sensors +75kmh and below 25% load etc)

And some times it locks TCC full on every time i got 4th gear... Even i got 15kmh BELOW limit or even 100% WOT?! Thats super weird.

I got also smaller problems:
-PWM wont work at all (Spare port 2, this gearbox need it just when i change gears)
-RPM is like 1-90 000rpm, settings wont help a thing (weird because its straight from Ignition ecu and its crystal clear signal...) (its disabled now)
-Tempature gauge is -17.8celcius all the time even i upload my OHM's of tempature gauge. Even i upload what ever... (its disabled now)

I have been running 5.101, 5.102, 5.103.
5.101 was working like same, but my gear lever up didnt do a thing.

Sorry bad english, im Finnish.

Im losing my mind with this... Please help. :cry:

Thanks, Sami
Bernard Fife

Re: MegaShift problems / A340

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sami,

Do you have datalog of your issues? Can you also post your MSQ file?
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
puliukk0

Post by puliukk0 »

About 2000s mark you can see the problem.
Attachments
2015-11-14_19.28.56.msq
(59.28 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
2015-11-15_18.46.18.msl
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 540 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sami,

It looks to me like this may be related to the coolant temperature as the TCC is released when the temperature spikes own to -39.7 from 82.2. None of the other ADC channels appear to be spiking, so that should rule out a more general power supply or grounding problem.

The TCC is designed to release when the trans is cold so that the trans fluid can warm up more quickly by circulating through the unlocked converter.

So I think you need to fix the temperature sensor wiring. It sounds like it might be shorting out.

If you aren't going to use the temperature sensor for anything, one thing you might do is to ground the sensor lead (ampseal pin 30) and use the standard temperature table - which should give a constant temperature of 180ºF (82.2 C). You may have already done this, but it looks like that ground is coming loose when warmed up, showing a tiny bit of resistance, and indicating about -40C.

If this was mine, though, I would instead ground the sensor lead through a 390 Ohm resistor (1/8+ Watt). That should give a steady temperature of 166ºF (75 C).

Also, note that TunerStudio doesn't always give the 'right' values the code expects for a grounded or open sensor circuit. So if you re-write the sensor table, you will have to verify if the end values (for open or shorted inputs) give 'sensible' values for your setup if you decide not to use a resistor.

I will run your MSQ on my bench overnight to see if your issue at 30km appears.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
puliukk0

Post by puliukk0 »

Lance wrote:Sami,

It looks to me like this may be related to the coolant temperature as the TCC is released when the temperature spikes own to -39.7 from 82.2. None of the other ADC channels appear to be spiking, so that should rule out a more general power supply or grounding problem.

The TCC is designed to release when the trans is cold so that the trans fluid can warm up more quickly by circulating through the unlocked converter.

So I think you need to fix the temperature sensor wiring. It sounds like it might be shorting out.

If you aren't going to use the temperature sensor for anything, one thing you might do is to ground the sensor lead (ampseal pin 30) and use the standard temperature table - which should give a constant temperature of 180ºF (82.2 C). You may have already done this, but it looks like that ground is coming loose when warmed up, showing a tiny bit of resistance, and indicating about -40C.

If this was mine, though, I would instead ground the sensor lead through a 390 Ohm resistor (1/8+ Watt). That should give a steady temperature of 166ºF (75 C).

Also, note that TunerStudio doesn't always give the 'right' values the code expects for a grounded or open sensor circuit. So if you re-write the sensor table, you will have to verify if the end values (for open or shorted inputs) give 'sensible' values for your setup if you decide not to use a resistor.

I will run your MSQ on my bench overnight to see if your issue at 30km appears.
Hi Lance, thanks for answer. I also going to make today some electric noise killer my +12v line (some elkos and noise killer coils).
Also trying that tempature resistor.

Do TCC still read tempature even its Disabled? It works ok, but when it spikes TCC goes ON-OFF-ON.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Do TCC still read tempature even its Disabled?
puliukk0,

Sorry, I misread your original post. The temperature should be ignored by the TCC code since you have it set to "log only". So there is an obvious problem in the code, and I will find and fix this, then post back some code here.

I have run your MSQ on my bench for several hundred kilometers, and haven't been able to get it to lock up or anything else that would need a reset.

And I will look into the SP2 PWM issue as well.
puliukk0

Post by puliukk0 »

Lance wrote:
Do TCC still read tempature even its Disabled?
puliukk0,

Sorry, I misread your original post. The temperature should be ignored by the TCC code since you have it set to "log only". So there is an obvious problem in the code, and I will find and fix this, then post back some code here.

I have run your MSQ on my bench for several hundred kilometers, and haven't been able to get it to lock uop aor anything else that would need a reset.

And I will look into the SP2 PWM issue as well.
Thanks man!

I tell will this 12v noise suppression help anything. Maybe its just some electric noise what messup Megashift.

I post maybe tomorrow results.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sami,

Here is 5.103i test code that should help with the TCC issue. The older code wasn't checking for the appropriate user set bit before unlocking the TCC when cold. This new code does that:
Monitor_5103i.abs.s19
Uses standard 5.103 INI
(84.58 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
I will look into the SP2 PWM issue next.

Thanks for spotting these issues!
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Sami,

Here is better 5.103ii test code. In addition to the TCC issue fixed above, this code fixes an issue with spare port 2 when used during 'shift only'. It seems to work on my bench (with your settings).
Monitor_5103ii.abs.s19
Uses standard 5.103 INI file.
(84.53 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Hopefully I haven't buggered anything else up while making these fixes, but if you try it use caution, and be prepared to revert to older code if necessary.
puliukk0

Post by puliukk0 »

Lance wrote:Sami,

Here is better 5.103ii test code. In addition to the TCC issue fixed above, this code fixes an issue with spare port 2 when used during 'shift only'. It seems to work on my bench (with your settings).
Monitor_5103ii.abs.s19
Hopefully I haven't buggered anything else up while making these fixes, but if you try it use caution, and be prepared to revert to older code if necessary.
Wow very nice!

Thanks for super fast problem solving. I try these right tomorrow! ;)