paddle shift

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
jmoore2

paddle shift

Post by jmoore2 »

I am brand new to the Megashift, but I have played with Megasquirt so I don't think it will be too hard to adapt. I am building a MGB project car for a disabled vet and want it to have manual control of shifting (as desired). Due to the injury this vet received, shifting a manual trans is not possible. I have a 4l60E and was wondering if 1st I am going to be able to accomplish what I intend (manual up, down shift with paddles-or other behind the steering wheel), and 2nd if anyone has any suggestions on paddle shifter kit or something they have built that may work well for this application. I have access to a machine shop so making parts should not be an issue.

Thanks for you help and advice and look forward to getting started with Megashift. This is a great group of people on here and it's a great opportunity to push our limits of automotive skill and knowledge.

Joe
Bernard Fife

Re: paddle shift

Post by Bernard Fife »

Joe,

The MShift controller is designed to shift manually with two button switches (or optionally a variable voltage signal). The buttons simply connect the output to ground to shift the transmission. So that's part is already done.

The next part is to decide how and where to physically place the shift buttons.

If they move with the wheel or not will influence a lot of your design. If you have fixed paddles mounted on the steering column, it is an easier task. You just need a paddle mounted on a lever that contacts the push button to ground the input. You can even have the shift buttons on the dash or console if you like.

If you want the paddles to move with the wheel, you have to decide how you are going to get the signal across the moving junction between the steering wheel and steering column. However, one possibility is to "re-purpose" the horn, as shown here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltshift.html

Original equipment manufacturers do it both ways (moving and stationary paddles) so it's really a matter of your preference.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
jmoore2

Post by jmoore2 »

Ah beautiful, then I will order a module and stim and get it started.

Thank you so much for the help. Whoever came up with this module, thank you very much. I was talking with some of my students the other day about restoration work in the future and how we will be able to get replacement modules (you guys are already making it possible).

Thanks for the quick response.

Joe
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Joe,

I was just thinking about this some more, and there is one potential hitch: The 4l60e requires a manual lever change to shift from Park/Neutral/Reverse to Drive.

There is nothing the mshift controller (or any other controller) can do to force the 4l60e trans into the PNR gears. However, once the lever is in Drive, then MShift can shift between the forward gears - either manually using the buttons or automatically.

So the feasibility of your project may depend on your client's ability to get the trans into PNR when required (most likely when stopped). If that's possible, then you are 'good to go'!
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
jmoore2

Post by jmoore2 »

Lance,
That is a good point. They can pull the lever into gear, there is only a leg injury which makes it impossible to shift a manual trans (push in clutch). I believe this will be the easiest way to give the feel of the sports car that they use to drive.

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Joe,

That sounds good then. The MShift code was originally designed so that I could shift my Corvette's 4L60e manually with paddle shifters at track days on a road course, so you should be right in the 'sweet spot' of the code with your project!
Homer Jones

Post by Homer Jones »

Hi Lance.
I looked at the suggestion for using the horn circuit. Looks very interesting. I've seen advertisements for steering wheels with buttons on each side, but don't know anything about them. If you actually tested that circuit with an actual wheel, what was the make/model?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

HJ,

I have not used the horn circuit myself; it was suggested by an MShift user who I recall found it satisfactory. It certainly looks like a usable option IF you can get at the horn switches within the steering wheel to modify the circuit(s).
HanEmurl

paddle shift

Post by HanEmurl »

and on Fox Supercars the other night they made the point on how cool it was SVG changing with his fore arm.
Wont do that with the paddle.