4r70w setup

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
ashford

4r70w setup

Post by ashford »

i have bought a gpio to run a 4r70w and have only found about half the info i need to get started ill make a list here.

things i know
shift solenoid patterns
mlps info
wiring pinouts

things i can't find on the internet

max shift pressures
transfer function for the line pressure pwm (ford measures current)
pressure sol frequency
if the shift sol's are pwmed
dithering?
tcc pwm?

also i have a 2001trans and it has a digital mlps like a gm, how will i be able to get the od switch/button to work?
ashford

Re: 4r70w setup

Post by ashford »

what i have found out is that this tranny acts more like a 4l80. i plan on hooking a scope to my pickup that has a 4r70w and getting data that way.

however i am having extreme difficulties understanding the manual. i am trying to make the gear sense circuit(voltage based)but can find no concrete evedence of what input to use. there seems to be a name for everything but no way to correlate it. EG ther is a procssor port name, software name, logic name, jumper name, circuit name and it is starting to irratate me not being able to come to a definitave answer.

for example i want to know what input 1 is(tuner studio) this is what i find in the manual

Input1: This is Input1 (processor pin PAD00 on circuit GPI1) for the switches that are used to determine the manual gear lever position. USES A JUMPER WIRE? DEFAULT FOR AD0 IS EGT4, GPI1=PE1 ON J2
Input2: This is Input2 (processor pin PAD01 on circuit GPI2) for the switches that are used to determine the manual gear lever position. same as 4l60 but not the default jumper setting
Input3: This is Input3 (processor pin PAD03 on circuit EGT3) for the switches that are used to determine the manual gear lever position. LOOKS LEGIT TO ME
Input4 (if set): This is Input4 (processor pin PE1 on circuit GPI1 using Ampseal pin AMP5) for the switches that are used to determine the manual gear lever position. SEE INPUT 1, PE1 IS FOUND ON J2

there is no PAD00 on the board, i would assume maybe ad0 since that is what the 4l60 uses on its page

Input 1 (switchA) AD0 EGT4 (build as GPI)1 26
Input 2 (switchB) AD1 GPI2 (jumper at 25x2 header) 6
Input 3 (switchC) AD3 EGT3 25

since 4l60 instructions do not correlate with general instructions for input1 i have to assume something is not documented right. so i think go from circuit back using default jupmers of gpi1= pe1? nope that is input 4 wtf gpi1 for input 1 and 4?

the only thing i can make a concrete assumption on is input 3 PAD03=input3=AD3=EGT3 since both 4l60 instructions and general documentation match and the default jumper is used(no jumper wires). unfortunately i will not be using input3. only 1 for the voltage sensing of the mlps and input 2 for the overdrive switch.

can we please get documentation of what functions(input/outputs in tunerstudios)corelate to the LABEL on J2, instead of the software(code) for it so that jumpers can be set correctly without having to make assumptions that may be incorrect.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Ashford,

The correct connection is always the processor pin. The processor pin is the only thing the processor knows or cares about.

For example, for Input1, the correct connection is to processor pin AD0 (aka. "PAD00"). The user can use any of the 24 circuits to form a circuit to condition a signal from the 'outside world' for AD0, so there's no one answer to which circuit AD0 is or should be connected to. However, for the default 4L60E build (http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/assembly.html), it is jumpered in step A.11 to circuit EGT4 (built as a GPI ("general purpose input") circuit, see: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/egt.htm#gpi).

However, you, or others, might choose to use a different circuit depending on your inclinations and needs.

Remember that the GPIO board is intended as an experimenter's board. It has a maximum of flexibility, and while this is handy for experienced users, it can make familiarization harder. It is meant for users that can and will follow schematics, and who are familiar with assembling custom electronic projects. Stick with it and you will figure it out.

However, we will make thing easier for users soon. We are in the last stages of bench testing an fully-built SMD version of the trans controller, to be called microTCU™. MicroTCU™ is just is 4.71" (120mm) long by 3.13" (79.5mm) wide by 1.67" (42.4mm) to the top of the Ampseal connector. The MicroTCU™ controller uses the sealed 35-pin AMPSEAL connector and a sealable plastic case. Because it is fully assembled, the processor pins/circuits/Ampseal pins have a fixed relationship. Compared to a GPIO board, MicroTCU™ adds:

- a 1 Amp constant current driver for the pressure control valve,
- serial connection moved to the Ampseal connector,
- adaptive VSS/ISS signal conditioning with a MAX9926 chip.

The site will be here: http://www.microtcu.com/
The differences from the GPIO version of the board are detailed here: http://www.microtcu.com/diff.htm

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
ashford

Post by ashford »

Lance wrote:Ashford,

The correct connection is always the processor pin. The processor pin is the only thing the processor knows or cares about.

For example, for Input1, the correct connection is to processor pin AD0 (aka. "PAD00"). The user can use any of the 24 circuits to form a circuit to condition a signal from the 'outside world' for AD0, so there's no one answer to which circuit AD0 is or should be connected to. However, for the default 4L60E build (http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/assembly.html), it is jumpered in step A.11 to circuit EGT4 (built as a GPI ("general purpose input") circuit, see: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/egt.htm#gpi).

However, you, or others, might choose to use a different circuit depending on your inclinations and needs.

Remember that the GPIO board is intended as an experimenter's board. It has a maximum of flexibility, and while this is handy for experienced users, it can make familiarization harder. It is meant for users that can and will follow schematics, and who are familiar with assembling custom electronic projects. Stick with it and you will figure it out.

However, we will make thing easier for users soon. We are in the last stages of bench testing an fully-built SMD version of the trans controller, to be called microTCU™. MicroTCU™ is just is 4.71" (120mm) long by 3.13" (79.5mm) wide by 1.67" (42.4mm) to the top of the Ampseal connector. The MicroTCU™ controller uses the sealed 35-pin AMPSEAL connector and a sealable plastic case. Because it is fully assembled, the processor pins/circuits/Ampseal pins have a fixed relationship. Compared to a GPIO board, MicroTCU™ adds:

- a 1 Amp constant current driver for the pressure control valve,
- serial connection moved to the Ampseal connector,
- adaptive VSS/ISS signal conditioning with a MAX9926 chip.

The site will be here: http://www.microtcu.com/
The differences from the GPIO version of the board are detailed here: http://www.microtcu.com/diff.htm

Lance.
so then pad00 means ad0, then pad01=ad1 and so forth. that is the connection i was trying to make, but it is not in the documentation. when i get this done i will try and make a quick difference report of what is different from the 4l80 guide.

thanks,
john
ForumAdminTeam
Site Admin

Post by ForumAdminTeam »

microTCU posts have been split off this thread and moved to: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=493
ashford

Post by ashford »

ok i found the source of my confusion. the scematics and build instructions are for the beta board i have the production board. i didn't know about this. are there plans for updated scematics ? ill start on finishing mine up and adding some info.
ashford

Post by ashford »

building my gear position lever circuit this is what i come up with

from repari manual

park 3770-4607 ohm 3.97-4.85v
rev 1304-1594ohm 3.24-3.96v
net 660-807ohm 2.55-3.11v
OD 361-442ohm 1.88-2.3v
2 190-232ohm 1.25-1.51v
1 78-95ohm .61-.75v

the dead center of voltages comes around 600-660ohm so would this do?
mlpsinput.gif
mlpsinput.gif (6.81 KiB) Viewed 18206 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

Assuming the shifter needs a 5V pull-up and this is supplied from the controller, then that looks reasonable to me at first glance.

There is more here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltlever.html (Rs on that page would be r21 in your diagram).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
ttoptt

Post by ttoptt »

Very VERY interested in your work Ashford as I'm also looking to add a fully controllable 4r70w to my MS2extra Mustang. Can't wait to see your progress!
ashford

Post by ashford »

i was hoping to sit down and finish the unit a while ago but have now just found time for it. final install wont be until around spring time. i have way to many things on my plate at the same time, the car this will be going into is an 85 mercury capri. i just jerked the 347/t5 combo out and will be dumping in a 4.6dohc 4r70w in with a turbo, lots of fab work in my future. on top of that it looks like my low milage junkyard jewel tranny has some crappy looking fluid in it :evil: .