VSS help please

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
Addicted

Re: VSS help please

Post by Addicted »

hmmmm that didn't go to plan... (see datalog).. :)
Attachments
2015-01-14_16.45.21.msl
(878.19 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

You should probably tell me a) exactly what problems to look for, and b) what others things you noticed while testing that aren't in the log and what your plans was while testing (or perhaps why you noticed the issue), and c) what the test conditions were (bench, car, etc.). Otherwise I might waste a lot of time looking at things that aren't relevant. And please either post the exact MSQ used to make the datalog, or let me know it is exactly he same settings as in a previous post.

However, as a first guess, since you are having troubles of some sort, and I am not seeing them here, your code may be corrupt, and you might want to re-load it. If this was mine, I would re-download the S19 file just to be sure: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html

Also, it looks like your speedo gets 'frozen' at some points. Have you tried setting the input masking value to zero yet as I suggested before?

Also, if this was mine I would connect the serial cable directly to the GPIO while testing, to eliminate the possibility of the CAN comms getting scrambled (in either the datalog or the setting of parameters).

Finally, you might have more consistent testing results at higher speeds (i.e. not 3.1 mph or anything much below 10 mph) where the VSS signal is likely to be higher amplitude, and things like speedometer decay aren't in play.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Its OK Lance, I wasn't expecting you to do anything about the datalog.. I just had 15 minutes to try your new ini file. Curiously the code was corrupt when I powered up this afternoon so I had to reload the firmware anyway. Hopefully I'll find more time at the weekend to play with it, I just think today was one of those days..
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

I forgot I posted 5.099a code earlier in this thread, so I will repost the latest 5.099b code here (this is exactly what I am testing with here):
Monitor_5099b.abs.s19
(81.47 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
It uses the same INI (above).

Windows shows this S19 file having a size of 83,428 bytes (in case you want to check to see if it is obviously corrupt on download).
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Hi Lance,

Just a quick datalog from this afternoon, it appears that VSSHz v Speed (I have a MLV custom field called hzvmph [VSSHz/Speed]) is now correct as it averages ~2:1

However, as you can see in the log, the Speed is now way too high. First gear at 1035rpm should be 6.1mph, the log is reading in excess of 50mph..

You can see that despite being at idle the incorrect speed caused tGear to go straight to 3 and then cGear followed it..

I scoped the VSS signal at 49ms at about idle, the difficulty is tieing period on the scope to VSShz at any given point. I'll try to do better tomorrow.

P.S at your request I tried setting input masking to zero... ooohhh it didn't like that at all... triggered off noise and thought it was doing 130mph and tried to lock the TCC at idle I think, certainly curious noises from the transmission :D

P.P.S I had so many different versions of 5.099 I had a clearout and only used the most recent ini and s19 files you posted to this thread.
Attachments
2015-01-16_16_modified.msl
(51.39 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Addicted,

There is a new version of 5.099 and its INI here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html (I am calling this 5.099d)

You can read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=240&p=5051#p5051

If you use this code you will have a couple of options for the VSS algorithm. One is to use the old (4.14x and prior to 5.095) algorithm, while the other option is to use the most recent algorithm (which is more sophisticated, but much, much less developed and probably still ripe with bugs). You can try these to see if either helps.

That code /INI also fixes some CAN offset issues.
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I uploaded those new ini and s19 files but got errors. I closed the project and tried to reopen it and I get this:

Now I can't access the project as I cannot get beyond this...
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

That's odd. I did check that this loaded before posting it.
Maybe it was corrupted on upload. I will sort it out once I get back.to my desk.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Somehow a semi-colon snuck into that line, perhaps on a corrupted upload.

I found and fixed this issue, and this INI works for me: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/fi ... t_5099.ini
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

I've been busy on some other aspects of the car but soon the only outstanding thing will be the transmission. Above is a photo showing the VSS, channel one is at the Ampseal, channel 2 is pretty much at the processor. I'm really struggling to see why I can't get this signal translated successfully.. The day I took this photo (Sunday) I tried loads of different settings, Old ISR, New ISR, zero masking, 50, 60, 70 and 80 masking, rising edge, falling edge and I never get consistant speeds.

There was a point, some months ago, where I WAS getting a pretty reasonable speed signal, it was just an order of magnitude out.. I wish I stuck with that and just tweaked the settings until the speed was correct.

I've reached the point where I'm bidding on an old 3 speed automatic transmsission and 1.6 engine just so I can drive the car.