What GPIO kit versions would you like to see?

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
joe

Re: What GPIO kit versions would you like to see?

Post by joe »

I would like the Ala Carte method the best but realize this would be a pain in the rear.

Example. Base board with 4 egt's 2 adc's and 2 high current.

I think maybe groups of features might be a good method.

None of the components are teribly expensive so to have a few extras shouldn't be a big deal.

Base- All parts to build except EGT and VR circuits.

Base + VR

Base + VR and EGT.

I think 3 kits would provide good flexibility and cover most people reasonably.

Just a thought-

Joe

*Cough* MSIII
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

joe wrote:I would like the Ala Carte method the best but realize this would be a pain in the rear.

Example. Base board with 4 egt's 2 adc's and 2 high current.

I think maybe groups of features might be a good method.

None of the components are teribly expensive so to have a few extras shouldn't be a big deal.

Base- All parts to build except EGT and VR circuits.
Ok... which of the multiple ways to build those circuits would you be using? The problem is there's several different ways to build most of these circuits, different resistors, or sometimes different transistors.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Matt,

I don't see that as a 'problem' exactly, but I do know what you are saying. Just to fill in everyone else, though, I have a few comments:

The GPIO board was designed to be an experimenter's board, and to be as flexible as possible. So it was deliberately set-up so most circuits could be configured to do more than one thing. For example, the EGT circuits can be temperature sensor circuits,instead.

The most expensive 'optional' component for the board is the AD595 thermocouple chip, these are several dollars each. The next most expensive are the high current drivers (TIP120/VB921) and not everyone will use the same quantity of these. Most of the remaining optional components are cheap things like resistors (~5¢ each), etc.

So if I was retailing a 'universal' this, I would probably offer the standard kit as the MegaShift components, plus:
- a ten or so extra 1.0K Ohm resistors,
- ten or so 10K Ohm resistors,
- 5 or so 5.6V Zener diodes,
- 5 or so 0.1uF caps, and
- a few extra 2N2222A or ZTX450 transistors.

Then the user could select the VB921/AD595 components separately in their order, and pick the remaining components up locally as necessary.

Just my 2¢

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
joe

Post by joe »

I like Lance's approch.

Seperate out the high dollar chips and include the rest as base kit.

Like the V3 board. I always have several extra's. Just part of buying the kit.

I still like the idea of all the resistors and caps etc.. included in the base kit.
Maybe enough to build the base kit with all ADC's usable. .

OK, so I will be using an EGT circuits instead of a 5v adc channel.
The egt would be an extra option. We are not talking about a lot of expensive parts left over if I sub an EGT circuit instead.

The VB921 or TIP120 are already available under MS service parts. Make the VR circit and EGT circuit parts available also.
Enough to build 1 EGT circuit or 1 complete VR circuit.

I still think It wouldn't be that big of a deal if I have a few resistors/caps/zeners left over from the base kit.
I'm an MS'er. I will use them somewhere, sometime.

Me personally, I will probaly only use a few ADC channels and 4 egt's. I might try the megashift option if I feel adventuresome. I run a 4L80E off a microsquirt right now and think someday I might use the GPIO instead.
I made work what I had available when I needed it. (The MS way) Works good I might add.

There is no one kit that will do all for everyone.

Maybe a board only and board base (All cheap components)

Then the user can add the extra options under service parts.

Thinking out loud--

Joe
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

By "problem," I just meant that it's a little tricky for us to devise a one size fits all version of it. That approach (MegaShift + a couple extra parts) might be another way to go about it, although we will probably offer a minimalist package as well.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

By "problem," I just meant that it's a little tricky for us to devise a one size fits all version of it.
Matt,

Yeah, I totally understand, I just didn't want people unfamiliar with the board to think the design was inherently flawed. I know you meant the problem was with creating a kit that suits everyone.

I think a bare board + vreg, etc. is a good start for people who want to 'roll their own' project, while the MShift BOM + spares should work for a lot of people too. So it sounds like you have it sorted!

There will be more applications for the GPIO board (I am working on a few myself) and these will have their own BOM, but I suspect the MShift BOM will cover most of the components requirements even for these.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
427v8

Post by 427v8 »

I don't know if you guys remember the old Heathkits electronic kits or not. I barely do. this was back from the days when it took 6-8 weeks after they received your check before you got the parts you ordered...

Anyway, the kit came with absolutely everything you could ever need. Every option and even some spares

MSGPIO is kinda the modern day version of the heathkit. I think it would be nice to be able to order an experimenters kit that had every possible option and a few spares of the commonly smoked parts.
that way I don't have to scrounge and order 3 resisters and a capacitor or something.

So the kits would be;
*Bare bones, no through hole parts, no case
*4l60e, everything needed to run the trans
*Experimenter, everything possible for all possible options, case, connectors each possible way to build every port.

I guess there could be an experimenter pack that was added to the bare bones...

Keith, who has his soldering iron on standby.
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

joshd wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself....but I don't even need the case, just the board with the required SMD and programmed processor.
Ok, for those of you who are in that big of a hurry - they're up!

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=392

We also have the heat sinks made up:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=391