microTCU

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
tobmag

microTCU

Post by tobmag »

This thread was split from: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=378 - Forum Admin Team
However, we will make thing easier for users soon. We are in the last stages of bench testing an fully-built SMD version of the trans controller, to be called microTCU™. MicroTCU™ is just is 4.71" (120mm) long by 3.13" (79.5mm) wide by 1.67" (42.4mm) to the top of the Ampseal connector. The MicroTCU™ controller uses the sealed 35-pin AMPSEAL connector and a sealable plastic case. Because it is fully assembled, the processor pins/circuits/Ampseal pins have a fixed relationship. Compared to a GPIO board, MicroTCU™ adds:

- a 1 Amp constant current driver for the pressure control valve,
- serial connection moved to the Ampseal connector,
- adaptive VSS/ISS signal conditioning with a MAX9926 chip.

The site will be here: http://www.microtcu.com/
The differences from the GPIO version of the board are detailed here: http://www.microtcu.com/diff.htm
This is really sweet, when is it coming? price comaperd to GPIO?

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Re: 4r70w setup

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

No timeline or price just yet. The price will be as low as we can get it, much like MicroSquirt, etc.. Before too long (the next few months if all goes well) we'll do testing with well qualified beta testers, and we will keep this forum up to date on that. The microTCU uses the same code as the GPIO board, so that should expedite testing.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tobmag

Re: microTCU

Post by tobmag »

Lance

Sounds good, perhapd its ready when my race engine /transmission is going into the car next winter.
Right now its just standard Jaguar 6.0L V12 and the original 4L80E.

BR//Tobmag
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Tobmag,

I would think next summer could be a reasonable, not overly optimistic, target date for microTCU sales. So next winter should be no problem at all.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
joe

Post by joe »

If you are looking for beta testers I'M running a microsquirt controlled 4l80E at the moment.
Been working good for several years now. I could be testing with just a minor repin of the amp connector.

Keep me posted if I can help.

Joe
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Joe,

We will keep you in mind. However, preference for beta test units will go to those already running MShift code on a road-worthy vehicle as they will be familiar with the MShift setup, operation, terminology, etc. (Microsquirt based trans code shares none of the code, hardware, or support infrastructure with MShift code). Furthermore, we will try to accomodate those that have made sigificant contributions to the MShift hardware, code and these forums first.

Lance.
joe

Post by joe »

Fair enough. Just offering as I already have a working setup thats wired without any issues.

Thanks,

Joe
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

All,

Just a quick update:

- the beta PCBs finished 'validation testing' on Jan.20/12. The processor, power supply, serial and CAN comms, BDM/bootloader, 1Amp circuit, I/O, etc. all work as designed. Testing was done on a bench using the shift and pressure control solenoids (as well as the pressure switch manifold, etc.) from a 4L60e transmission.
- we do not have bespoke cases for the microTCU controller boards yet. I have tested the beta units in MicroSquirt cases, but there is not enough room in these for the 1 Amp circuit's TIP125 heat sink to be installed inside the case (for those applications where it is needed at all - the 4L60e does not need a heat sink). See: http://www.microtcu.com/heatsink.htm Bruce has mentioned the possibility of new cases with provisions for a heat sink, but I do not have an recent update on this.
- I sent a note to Bruce and Al upon completing testing regarding beta unit allocation to testers for evaluation and feedback, but we do not have a plan for this yet (we *could* possibly go ahead with testing using MicroSquirt cases, I suspect; in which case it could happen fairly quickly).

So things are moving ahead, albeit slowly.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

All,

A notice:

The microTCU has a few things beta testers need to be aware of:

- the only code that is designed with the microTCU in mind is the 4.1xx+ code. Earlier code will work, but external pull-ups need to be added to the digital shift lever inputs, if they are used (that is, if not using a Ford variable voltage style shift lever). The pull-ups can always be added externally to any input(s), using the Vref supply from the engine controller (the microTCU doesn't bring out the 5 Vref supply) and a current limiting resistor (1K+ Ohms).

- the pull-up code was added to the 4.110+ versions. However, to activate the processor pull-ups with the code, you need to set the Controller Hardware to "microTCU". But the only the current INI (dated April 8, 2013 or later) allows the user to set the hardware (it is commented out at line ~1121 of the mainController.ini in the TunerStudio project folder in earlier INIs). You can remove the semi-colons ( ; ) to 'uncomment' this in any text editor. The hardware setting can then be found under "Controller Hardware -> Controller Hardware". But...

- despite all the above, the pull-ups for the shift lever inputs may not be configured correctly in the code. I am looking at this now, and I hope to have it sorted shortly.

When all is sorted, there will be an internal pull-up on the microTCU when appropriate, this is supplied by the microprocessor (or it will be once everything is configured properly in the code). On the GPIO board, the pull-up is external to the processor (but still on the board), so users could build the circuit to suit their application. We had to enable the pull-ups using software on the microTCU because we don't want people to have to add/remove surface mount components out when they set/change configurations. Because the microTCU are 'new to the world' it will take a little fussing to get these things sorted out.

Also, The TIP125 for the 1 Amp constant current circuit needs to be added if that function is desirable, and a heat sink may be necessary for the TIP125. The production case should be much simpler (it will be deeper and incorporate a heat sink internally), but you have shown the best way to do it for the beta units. For more information, see: http://www.microtcu.com/heatsink.htm

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I have found and fixed (I think) the problem with the microTCU pull-ups, and hope to release new beta code in the next day or two after a bit of testing. Thanks to everyone for their patience. Lance.