4r70w setup

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
ashford

Re: 4r70w setup

Post by ashford »

Lance wrote:ashford,

The datalog indicates that the controller is not finding a gear that matches the voltages specified in the INI. (This is indicated by the -99 manual gear value.) This also causes the PWM% to vary between the table value and 100%. Did you measure and adjust the manual shift lever voltage values for the new code?

Lance.
yep i took the voltages right from input 1 for each gear
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Ashford,

And you got:

P = 4.18
N = 3.43
N = 2.64
1 = 0.59
2 = 1.15
3 = 1.35
4 = 1.83 ?

For a dead band set to 0.098 Volts, the ranges are too narrow. For example, the dead band between 2nd and 3rd is 1.25 plus or minus ~0.1 = 1.25 to 1.45, so 3rd won't be recognized, it will return a -99 error value for the manual lever position. You need to reduce the dead band, I would set it no higher than 0.029 if this was mine. That doesn't mean there aren't still errors in the code, though, and I will look into that.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

I have definitely screwed something up in the voltage based lever code. It's odd because I tested this pretty thoroughly not too long ago, and I haven't changed anything since then in this part of the code (at least not deliberately), so it may take a little detective work to figure it out. It will get sorted, though, hopefully in a day or two.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
ashford

Post by ashford »

all voltages you specified are correct with the exception or 3rd. there is no 3rd on a 4r70w it goed p-r-n-d-2-1 then a switch to deactivate 4th. i have used manual mode to run the engine in tonight and rought tune the ms3 so that it is drivable. pc solenoid seems to do the job i have firm shifts at lighter throttles and 2nd and 3rd gear rubber WOT :lol: . i can now spend some time on the gpio tuning end of things without worry of engine damage. i have noticed that i have no engine braking in first and second gear, but what i have gathered from a tranny guy is that it may be normal, maybe the stock pcm hides this with upshiffitng at light to no load or raising the idle speed. im gonna hafta pay close attention to my pickup next time i drive it
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

I think I have found and fixed the manual lever issue. It turned out that it wasn't handling the highest and lowest values correctly due to an assumption carried over from an older version of the code. It didn't show up in earlier testing because the values I happened to choose for the extremes weren't such that they would expose this issue, so many thanks for finding and reporting it! I have new code in place that appears to work properly, and I am testing it at the moment. I will post here when it is released (likely later today or tomorrow if all goes well).

There is also an issue with the neutral LEDs that I am working on, and this will be fixed in the next code (as well as adding a setting for reverse gear line pressure).

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

The 4.117 code on the beta page ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41code.html ) *should* fix the manual lever issue. I have used it with your MSQ as well as many other patterns and combinations of voltages, and it now appears to do what it is supposed to do (damn computers are always doing what I tell them to do instead of what I want them to do! ;-) ). The manual gear lever ADC code was completely re-written. The older code was supposed to be able to handle the voltages in any order, but it wasn't actually doing that under every circumstance due to some logic that got pretty obscure at points (when there can be voltages for anywhere from 4 to 8 forward gears, and they don't have to be in any order, and the voltages don't have to be exact, just closer than to any other setting, a fair bit of juggling is required with the variables). I believe the new code does work for any number of valid gears, for any valid voltage, in any order.

Give it a try and let me know if there are still problems.

BTW, if there is no 3rd gear position on the lever, I would probably set the value for 3rd to either 0.00 volts or 5.00 volts (the controller will round these slightly) instead of 1.35V. That will give you a much wider range of valid voltages for 2nd and 4th.

Lance.
ashford

Post by ashford »

tried out 4117 i think geal lever position is going in the right direction, there is no more flickering, it also always flashes 0 on the gauge when moving between positions(not sure if that is intended). the problems i am having now are indicated gear is always 4 on the gauge when in any forward gear. i am always physically in 2nd(no sol a or b output) gear and manual shift does not work. went back to 4104 and i can manual shift it.

here are logs and msq
gpio.zip
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

it also always flashes 0 on the gauge when moving between positions(not sure if that is intended).
ashford,

Since the gear position is not at any of the measurable positions, the trans sets the lever value to -99 (an impossible value, obviously) and this shows on the current gear gauge as 0. That's to be expected - the controller needs to *know* what gear the lever is in, it won't guess. Since the lever isn't in any position between gears, the controller reports an error. You can reduce the duration of this error by reduce the dead band value for the voltages.

The controller isn't intended to be shifted by the manual lever, that only sets the maximum gear allowed. The shifting is intended to be done with the shift buttons, so normally you wouldn't be moving the lever much while driving (just leave it in 4th and drive with the shift buttons).

It does look like you probably need to increase the hysteresis factor, as the trans occasionally rapidly hunts between gears. This is caused by noise in the VSS signal.

I assume this testing is being done on a stim? The reason I ask is that there are spots in your logs where the vehicle speed goes from 0 to 150 kph in less than 4 seconds, which seems pretty quick. If you are testing on a stim, you should disable the RPM checking, as it can be quite tricky to get the RPM correct to allow shifts.

However, I can't get your MSQ to shift properly unless I set digital gear lever (then your other values work perfectly on my bench - both the indicated gear, the current gear, and the solenoids), so I need to look into this (in both your MSQ and the code itself). I suspect there is something simple going on (but simple doesn't necessarily mean easy to find). Maybe I have neglected to set or reset one or more status flags in the manual lever code somewhere. I will report back here when I have this figured out.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

Okay, that was easy! It turns out that when I completely re-wrote the ADC lever function, I neglected to reset a gear error code once a valid gear was found in the voltage based lever function (this is one more reason why I shouldn't be allowed near a compiler at 3:30am!). As a result, the rest of the code always thought the lever was in a error state permanently after the first error, so it no longer shifts at all (auto or manually). This will be an easy fix, I will release some new code tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ashford,

It was a very simple fix, so I will put this out now after testing for a half hour or so. The attached 4.118 beta code/INI seems to work perfectly on my bench with your MSQ (with just the rpm checking disabled). It shifts properly for me in both manual and auto modes. You can give it a try if you like:
GPIO_MShift_4118.ini
(211.86 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Monitor_4118.abs.s19
(71 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Lance.