Megashift and the Ford 5R110

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
dodger21

Megashift and the Ford 5R110

Post by dodger21 »

So, I have been diving into this for a couple reasons.

1 is PCS has a universal stand-alone but it doesn't fine tune the trans enough.

2 is this is considered the strongest trans for a diesel pickup in stock form.

3 is I want this in my truck.

From what I read, this is a 6 spd trans that only uses 5 in a given day. It has a hot and cold operation, which according the the ATSG manual, that just changes 4th/5th gears. 4th is a 1.10:1 and 5th is 1:1.

I do have a bit of a problem though. The amount of solenoids...

There are 13 total, 8 of which are essential.

The solenoid data and what solenoids are needed for which gear and TCC solenoid operation:

http://www.superflow.com/Transmission_T ... 5r110w.pdf

The ATSG manual:

http://atsg.com/dyndata/articles/pdf/Fo ... qshift.pdf

Can I do this? If I can, I will make a lot of people happy.

Thanks!
Bernard Fife

Re: Megashift and the Ford 5R110

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dodger,

The 4.103 beta code ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41code.html ) can control up to 8 shift solenoids in up to 8 forward gears with some hardware mods (but obviously other functions cannot be used on those outputs). The release code has up to 7 shift solenoid outputs, but the new code allows the speedo output to be used as a shift solenoid output as well.

The four LED outputs could potentially also be used for shift outputs, if required (again, with some hardware mods).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
dodger21

Post by dodger21 »

Do I read the manual right, there are just 4 PWM outputs? If so, it looks like I need 5... :(

Also, the code writing is not hard for me to understand but the hardware modding is harder for me. So If I can get the hardware setup, the software shouldn't be hard. So if I ask stupid board questions, I apologize.

Do I need the Intermediate and Turbine shaft speed sensors? Since this is a standalone, I know I don't have to add it but is it a good add-on?

This part here:
Four of the solenoids,TCC, OD Clutch, Intermediate Clutch and the Low/Reverse Clutch, are directly proportional which means the pressure output is directly proportional to the applied DC amps. The current is varied between 0 and 1 amp from the PCM, and 1 amp equals maximum pressure in the oil circuit. Three of the solenoids, Line Pressure, Coast Clutch and Direct Clutch, are inversely proportional which means the pressure output is inversely proportional to the applied DC amps. The current is varied between 0 and 1 amp from the PCM, and 0 amp equals maximum pressure in the oil circuit.
makes me think it can be a hardware issue. Is this something I need to mod on the board or software?

I haven't bought anything yet as I want to make sure I get this right the before I buy. However, I have limited access to my brothers truck with this trans so if I need to find anything out, it shouldn't be too hard.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

dodger,

The shift solenoid outputs and their PWM capabilities are listed in item 3 here:

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/spareport.html

All 8 outputs have some form of PWM.

I don't know how the OEM controller uses the various shaft sensors - but it may be for fault diagnosis more than actual operational requirements.

The info required is most likely to be found in a factory service manual. But you could find out much of it on a vehicle with an oscilloscope and extensive testing, I suppose.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
cut7

Post by cut7 »

Has anyone else tried anything with the 5r110? I'm very interested in this project.
dodger21

Post by dodger21 »

Still interested in this but I am trying to find a trans + adapter plate for the Cummins. I do not have access to a truck with this so I guess I will be buying the FSM.
5_Slow

Post by 5_Slow »

Hey Dodger, did you ever have any luck with this?
johnjohn00

Post by johnjohn00 »

I might tear into this project in the new year.
I'm just grazing for documents now.

John
johnjohn00

Post by johnjohn00 »

johnjohn00 wrote:I might tear into this project in the new year.
I'm just grazing for documents now.

John
Ok,

I feel that the biggest obstacle I can find the ASTG book is as follows,
The transmission range
sensor is non-adjustable and is not serviced
independently. The TR-P sensor contains electronic
circuitry that provides the PCM a fixed frequency, at a
duty cycle, for each of the seven positions of the
manual shift lever.
(page 13)

Is there a pwm input that i can use for the lever position?