AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Jim Blackwood

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Still here, just not quite ready yet to begin the controller build. I've made lots of progress on the other mechanical bits though. I'm pushing for late spring or early summer and think that is a reasonable timeline.

If you noticed, earlier in the thread we had a pretty good discussion on shifter inputs. It might be worth going back and reviewing that. Assignment of inputs, indicator outputs, and logic scheme were all a part of it.

Good to know about the backfill function, I will want to compare that to the 8 speed and see if maybe it uses the same technique. Or if one of you guys has the chance, feel free to do that. It's something we need to know.

My 650 is still sitting on the shelf but we've moved a step closer to using it. Just when that happens depends on my brother's success in finding a suitable engine for his car. My car still needs a fuel rail, serpentine idlers, oil pump drive, drive shaft, and a few other things and it all has to be hand built. Getting there but it is taking some time.

Jim
Doddy Fidelis

Post by Doddy Fidelis »

Hi All,

Can anyone help understand how the shift solenoids on this transmission work? At first I thought this is a a650e, but this is still a a340e 4speed auto with 7 solenoids. It came from 1JZGTE VVti engine. My plan is to install MS3+MS3x for the engine and MSgpio for the auto.

I tried Looking for JZS161 or JZS 171 FSM with no result. So I really hope you guys can help me here. Thanks Guys.

Regards,
Doddy
Attachments
Valve Body
Valve Body
Valve Body.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
TCC Shift Control and Lock Up Solenoids
TCC Shift Control and Lock Up Solenoids
TCC Shift Control and Lock Up Solenoids.jpg (199.8 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
Shift Solenoids
Shift Solenoids
Shift solenoids.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Have you looked at the AA80E files? With a difference of 2 solenoids I suspect the operation is pretty similar. Also, I do have a file on the A650E that I ran across a couple days ago which might help if you don't have it, but it is on my other laptop. It's Toyota's description from their training manual.

Jim Nichols over on the BritishV8 forum is using an A340e though I'm not sure of the version. He might be some help though.

Ah, here we go, I just did a google search for A340E training manual and came up with this file. It is too big to upload. Should be most of what you are looking for.
http://www.japanerfusk.dk/Auto%20A340e%202JZ-GE.pdf

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Well, I thought I was at the point of pulling the trigger on the electronics purchase but apparently not, as Lady Luck seemed to have other plans for me and I had to spend the funds fixing the tractor. This has also affected my timeline...delays, delays. It's not all bad though, as I discovered the MSqorivva controller and will see if that works for my application. I like the sealed box, the ability to keep oxygen out can really improve reliability over the long run.

Anyway it looks like I'll need several months to recover and I will continue work on the hard parts of the car in the meantime. There is still a lot to do.

Jim
Doddy Fidelis

Post by Doddy Fidelis »

Thanks Jim,

The documents you gave me only have two shift solenoids and 1 lock up solenoid. Mine have 4 shift solenoids and 1 lock up, 1 clutch solenoid and 1 line presure solenoid and still 4 speed. This is confirmed by www.toyodiy.com under toyota crown athelete 2002 1jzgte engine. Seems lady luck is also not on my side too. Hahaha.
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Hang in there. Our numbers are growing. I found a couple of links which should help a lot. Lance and Co. Have been hard at work.

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2 ... tml#params
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

Jim
bondango

Post by bondango »

Hi all,
We also have an AA80E which we plan to install in a Supra running an IS-F 2URGSE engine.
In the early stages of the project We had planned a manual conversion as i did not think there was a contoller in existance
that could manage this Transmission. Jim has done some great research work from what i have read in this thread.
I'm Glad to be on board this project, and with people here like Jim and Lance it will make the hill im climbing a lot easier!

Thanks
Marty
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Great to have you on board Marty. We still have a ways to go but are much closer than we were last year, and depending on your timeline you certainly could complete yours before I do. That would not be a problem for me, and in fact if we could get another 2 or 3 working on this I'm sure we would have it sorted out in no time.
The AA80E is a fantastic transmission with tremendous potential, especially the ISF version. That and the matching engine is going to make for one mean Supra.

One part I will need, if you happen to run across it, is the control harness for the transmission. The guy I bought the tranny from was supposed to include it but he turned out to be not very reputable and I've resisted sending him another hundred bucks for what was supposed to be included. I'd prefer to get it from another source. But I'm guessing you found a complete car for a donor.

At any rate, welcome. Good to see you here.

Jim
bondango

Post by bondango »

hi Jim,
I feel we will be well behind anyone in a get up and Going race. We still have a lot of development needing
done in the area of engine management, as no one has figured out the Direct injection control techniques used
on these engines, so i the big scheme of things the Trans control should be the easier of the 2 battles
we face with our convesion.

Sorry to hear about your harness woes, we were also victim to a package with missing ECU's and Disected looms,as well as engine damage. But I am in the UK and involved in the Dismantling business so i will certainly keep my ear to the haystack for that needle!

A lot of the Aisin W boxes use the same connector block but with additional pins for the application so i will check ours for any reference details to crossmatch. I guess adding pins to an existing Harness would be the lesser of two evils.

I was impressed with your research work, and it goes to show the Tran isnt as complicated under the skin as i first imagined it would be

Marty
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

True of most things. You can add layers upon layers of sophistication but at the base is the same system of gears, clutches, pistons, and solenoids. PWM solenoids of course are a wonderful recent wrinkle.

I suspect you will find the same to be true of your direct injection, and control may not be much more complicated than having the correct drivers and timing scheme. The beauty of it all is an enhanced ability to control the subtleties in the way you choose to do it. In the end it is still the same old Hot Rodder's game plan. Substitute your own view of how the parts should work together for the package that the corporate entity offered to the masses, and in the process re-define the vehicle. Funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.

Let me know if you run across that harness. It would help a lot.

Jim