AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Jim Blackwood

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thinking about selectable mutually exclusive options, my configuration uses discrete switching on P(N),R,&D. It uses the standard 4 wire LED gear position indicator, and it uses paddle shifters. It also uses CAN for signals from the MS-II engine controller (currently PWM IAC but it's so noisy I'm considering changing to a 4 wire stepper, and also uses EDIS) and an input from the transmission output shaft sensor for VSS. There is also an ISS connected and a temp sensor. It'll be interesting to see how close we can get with that.

I can get and list the specific output and input assignments as well. They have to be pretty darned specific to have a configuration that will work with this transmission. I'll try to post that info over the next couple of days.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks, I had a quick look and will dig in deeper shortly. I have questions about what some of those things do but will do my research before asking.

It has also occurred to me that with only two types of PWM solenoids in the transmission those parameters could be hard coded if we need more file reduction. There are probably a number of places where that could be done.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I've been looking at the Processor Expert in CodeWarrior to get a better understanding of the hardware (pin) assignments and am beginning to think that a global pin assignment change might be the way to go, but I'm still a ways from deciphering how to best do that in code. The use of Beans in building a project is helpful to me in learning what I am looking for and might help me find the code changes that would be needed to implement those changes. I'll keep studying it.

One question you might be able to answer for me though, it seems simple but I've not made the connection. I want to open the MegaShift code as a project in CodeWarrior. How do I do that?

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Once you have installed Codewarrior, the .mcp file type should be linked to Codewarrior, and clicking on the 'MShift_V5diy.mcp' file (extracted from the zipped files) will start Codewarrior and open the MShift project. Or I believe you can open Codewarrior, then open the 'MShift_V5diy.mcp' from within CW to start the project.

I don't use the processor expert at all as it doesn't work properly with my version of CW. It might work well with your version, but I would proceed with caution just in case it messes things up.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks. Unfortunately despite checking the download:
MShift_V5201_Proj.zip
file by file including all subfolders, I was unable to come up with:
MShift_V5diy.mcp

though I did find:
MShift_V5.mcp
When I loaded that It looked hopeful but I had 8 error codes such as:

Path for the user defined root '{Project}' cannot be found 'C:\Users\Lance\Desktop\MegaSquirt\Code Projects\C\9S12\MShift_V5xxx_Proj'

The following access path in target "P&E ICD" of project "MShift_V5.mcp" cannot be found:
C:\Users\Lance\Desktop\MegaSquirt\Code Projects\C\9S12\MShift_V5xxx_Proj

and so on.

Do I have the wrong download perhaps?

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

MShift_V5diy.mcp is there, I just checked. It is in one folder "up" from the source file (the project file is a CW file, the source files are C files). Don't use the 5.201 zip file that is within the zip file (in the backups folder), which is just included for reference.

To fix the warnings, you need to:

a) set the 'monitor' as the target under 'Project -> Set Default Target'. And

b) edit the access paths to match the path where you have extracted the zip file on your machine (edit them under 'Edit -> Monitor Settings -> Target -> Access Paths'. Mostly you want to remove the line that has 'C:\User\....' in it, and leave all those that have {Project} in them. But then replace 'c:\Users\...' with an absolute address to the project folder.

You can change the access paths under the other targets too, if you like, this may prevent some warnings in some situations (but these other warnings won't affect the .S19 file compile process).
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

OK, finally I got it open. 15 messages this time, I'll work on that now.
I did another download, making sure it was the "diy" version and that worked.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I've made some progress. Got rid of most of the errors but could not eliminate the root '(Project)' error or the three comm errors. v5201_diy did not have the 4 comm folders in the directory. Tried copying them from the v5201 (not diy) but that didn't work too well so I'll retry. I found the "Change" button useful in modifying the target settings.

I loaded the v5201 project (not "diy") and it had the comm folders so I was able to get rid of all the errors with it except the root error: Path for the user defined root '(Project)' cannot be found 'C:\Users\Lance...MSHift_V5xxx_Proj'

I'm not sure how to deal with that one, would be happy to have a suggestion.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »