Input for manual/paddle mode

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Thor_patrol

Input for manual/paddle mode

Post by Thor_patrol »

Is it possible to be able to select an input to select manual/paddle shift mode? I can't seem to find any info on it in the V5tune page. I'd like to use the grounding switch on the BMW Steptronic shifter.
Bernard Fife

Re: Input for manual/paddle mode

Post by Bernard Fife »

Thor_patrol,

There isn't a separate input for selecting the mode. Instead:
  • Manual mode is selected whenever you press either of the shift buttons while in auto mode.
  • Auto mode is selected whenever you press both buttons while in manual mode.
However, you can set up separate a mode button if you like. You can do it like this:

When the mode switch is closed, auto mode will be used, regardless of what you do with the shift buttons. If the mode switch is open, pushing either the upshift button or downshift button will put you in manual mode (and pushing both OR switching the mode select switch to auto will put you back in auto mode). This is here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html (about ½ way down the page).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Thanks Lance!
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

I have the manual mode working with the BMW steptronic lever but now I'm having some trouble not being able to get to 6th gear. I haven't sorted everything out yet like vss because I'm trying to get all the solenoids and pwm settings correct first. I have the transmission operating in manual mode but when i go up through the gears it will go from 1st up to 5th sequentially without a problem, but when i try to upshift to 6th it changes back to 2nd gear. Then i can continue to upshift sequentially again to 5th and the cycle repeats. I'm using code 5.201.

I'm at work currently so I'll upload a msq and log tonight

Dave
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

That certainly isn't the way it ought to work. Do you happen to have rpm checking turned on? If so, you might turn that off just to see if it makes a difference. In any case, an MSQ and datalog should let us get to the bottom of it fairly quickly.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Here is the MSQ and a short log without the vehicle running but just going through the gears in manual mode. I have rpm checking turned off also.

I have the 6R80 working pretty well so far anyway which I'm very happy about. Once I've perfected it a bit further I'd like to send you all the details so others can easily use the 6R80 as I have seen a bit of interest about it.

2016-02-09_23.02.18.msl
(121.51 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
Mshift E39.msq
(62.21 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Dave
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

Thanks, I will have a look and post back here once I have something for you.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

I have looked at your datalog, and loaded your msq on my bench. I see exactly what you do - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, then 2nd in both manual and auto modes. This is very clearly a code problem (not a configuration, setup, or wiring problem). That's good, as it should narrow down the possibilities. I will dig into the code and let you know when I have a solution for you to try.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

I have found the problem after some head scratching. It turned out to be a problem left-shifting bits in a binary number, the compiler doesn't want to do this with ints (16 bit numbers). I can fix this, but it will be tomorrow before I have something for you.
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Thanks Lance,

Really appreciate all the help!

Cheers,

Dave