ABS/TCS retrofit

A forum for discussing the applications and implementations of the DIY general code template for the GPIO and its 25 user inputs and outputs (+ serial & CAN). The code is 99% complete, the user just has to add their own conditional I/O logic and compile (with a free special Edition of CodeWarrior).
TheMonkey

ABS/TCS retrofit

Post by TheMonkey »

i am certain that awhile back, i found a bunch of good research that someone shared on ABS retrofit. maybe it was Lance? it was on an MS affiliated site, but dangit if i can find it now. kind of like the 'Twilight Zone'... "no... i swear, there was this guy... he was right there...."

anyhoo. i think the research was based around the bosch 5.3 unit or some other similar non-integrated hardware. anyone remember this, or care to offer suggestions on what a retrofit might require?
Bernard Fife

Re: ABS/TCS retrofit

Post by Bernard Fife »

TM,

That info is currently being re-worked. Here's a zip of the page (attached). Which non-integrated ABS unit we will initially support hasn't been 'set in stone' just yet.

Lance.
Attachments
abs_hydraulics.zip
Early draft of ABS page
(24.1 KiB) Downloaded 1141 times
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
TheMonkey

Post by TheMonkey »

thx Lance.... i'll tell my handlers they can take the straight jacket off me now...

i'll be fishing around for info on this, if i see any nuggets of info i'll post it here.

i haven't seen any examples of a WSS tone ring (toothed wheel) getting retro-fit to hub assemblies that did not originally have one, but i'm hearing it's been done. i'd really like to see an example before i try to recreate the wheel (pun intended).
phj420

Post by phj420 »

trigger wheels for vw can be found here:
http://www.desert-craft.com/featured.html

They install on CV joints. I dont know what you would do about the front wheels, no ideas have come to mind yet.
phongshader

Post by phongshader »

Has there been any progress here? Any updates?
MSII 2.88, V2.2, Megatune 2.25, LC-1
Olds 215 v8 in a '59 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000
-------------------------------------------------
MS2/Extra 3.1, V3, TS 1, LC-1
Duratec 2.3, GSXR itb, Locost
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

ps,

Yes, there is progress, but nothing to announce. We are still a ways away from distributing useable code.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
phongshader

Post by phongshader »

Good to know, thanks.
phongshader

Post by phongshader »

I'm gathering parts now to install abs, what abs unit is the code being written for, Bosch 5.3?
Thanks
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

phonshader,

The code is written to be general at this point (based on the physics of vehicle acceleration and traction, etc.). The target hardware has been left 'unspecified'. The idea is that the code should work with most hardware.

Like the trans code, there will likely have to be some code additions and modifications to suit everyone's hardware and needs, but we will make every effort to do this. Also like the trans code, the more people ask for modifications, and the more information they can supply, the more easily those modifications can be made.

Unfortunately, with the trans code, DBW code, and stability code all on the table (along with various other projects) progress is currently slower than we would like.

Lance.
crisd

Post by crisd »

Hi Lance,

I was told to check out this link by Matt over at DIY Auto Tune, I'm trying to make the ABS on a project car work and was thinking that rather than to try and make the OEM Buick Riviera computer work with my cobbled together system, that a programmable unit would be much more suitable.

How is the progress with the ABS coming?

Cris